rough shooting tips - nout about..

Hi,

need a bit of help on my rough shoots. dont know if its the weather, my aftershave or if i have to dress my labs in sheep outfits but i have been on 4 rough shoots at 4 dif locations and seen nothing except for a couple of crows and mozzy bites

was up on the horse shoe pass in wales two weeks ago for grouse and pheasant. walked for miles, saw some sheep! :no:

walked a farm in north wales known for Rabbit and Snipe, over 6 hedges, through gullies, chased by cows and nothing other than ducks in the distance that seemed to be (paranoia) laughing. :lol:

jsut got back form Bala in wales from a hilside of 50/50 wood and fields. more mozzy bites and saw a cat. yes a bl**dy cat. (no i didn't shoot it)

is the weather too warm, do i have to walk in or out of the sun, up or down the hills, go early or late hide under trees... i read all these stories of 28 bagged pheasant. I only want 1 ! oh and my first woodcock obviously.

all and any advice is welcome please why i sit here feeling sorry for myself.

Ok, is it just you? As we hold around 600 pheasants and partridge in 1 wood, and sometime you have to really get on top of them to move them over the final tree line and get them up high over the guns, anyway. Have you got a dog? As this marvellous little hound will help you no end, getting under the bushes, and working a wide area spanning about 40 yeards wide alot faster than you can. If not, be a bit smart and invite someone who has a half decent dog, not someone who ends up yelling at it all day. Then he can have a few shots the same as you, win win, he uses his dog, you both get some shooting. Other than that you must be like a drunken elephant crashing through the woods. lol. Seriously though, keep at it, it can be frustrating. Happy shooting. :good:

got 2 labs. must say actually the wood ground is clear due to the fact they are Firs. going to a Reservoir next weekend (south bank) where there are meant to be Canada Geese. don't know if to go early or late for them.

ref the rough shoot one is Mr stealth but i do let the woofs run ahead so your right maybe the little blighters are getting wind of the dogs first and going to ground.

i no this is old hat but get a grip of them labs, if there runing on to far then you have no chance coz the dog is hunting for its self not you! other than that, have you got a freind with a good cocker or springer? i feel these dogs flush mutch better than the good old labs. they will work very tight cover in a bullish fashion and can pop birds from under your feet that you just would not think was there. good luck with it all im sure your day will come soon.

We have experienced similar on our shoot in North Lancs. We have put it down to the maize crops nearby not being harvested yet. It improved somewhat this last weekend and we hope it gets better after this when the maize is cropped and also think the unseasonally warm weather has had an effect which should improve when the cold spell comes as forecast.

Just keep at it somthing will be about.The woodcock havent realy come in yet.Onley got one so far.Plenty of phesant about that have been put down.They will be sticking to areas with food ie feeders hedges.And the wild duck are slowly coming in.They could be sitting tight in cover a beater or good dog in cover could be good.No offence to your labs intended.Im no expert but this is what i have noticed this year.

cheers all, good advice. true about the dogs they do have a habit for running off and i have heard that the woodies dont come in till its cold (and a full moon? - thought that was werewolves :) )

up to lake this weekend so hoping the ducks will be present... if not 6 hours in the fresh air with no mobile or wife dragging me round the shops is good enough for me

APPY DAZE. :shoot: