Semi Auto users - which cartriges cycle well in which guns?

Salop Matt

My Beretta AL390 ok with 65 mm 28g Hull Low Recoil, Fibre Wad, Subsonics, however only put around 100 of these through the gun. Have never tried anything below 28g.

Cycles fine with curious mixtures e.g. Eley Blues, Fibre 8's and Saga 50g 1's (smokey old cartridges!).

The new A300 Outlander has a very similar action so I guess will be as forgiving in time.

Eley Superb 7.5 28g are my regular choice through either gun.

P.S. I had a Benelli Montefeltro some years ago that had problems with softer Winchester shells, may have been down to smooth, glossy cases.

These would sometimes loop-the-loop in the chamber but not eject.

In general any semi should be ok with 30g and upward game loads else there is a problem with the gun.

Edited by Sandbank

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv gone back to the Beretta Xtrema2 after owning/using a few autos, they will reliably cycle any load, 65mm to 3.5''magnum loads, 21g to 1 3/8oz (39g) faultlessly :good:

The perfect all rounder :yes:

Another vote for the Xtrema II, never falters from 28gm clay loads through pigeon 30gm`s to 36gm `fowling loads up to the biggies.

Even cycles some old H&H ounce 8`s and 1 1/2oz 2`s in BP.

franchi 712/raptor. has never had a problem with anything from 24g steel to 50g bb's.

will cycle 67mm all day and i have never had a shell not cycle, of any brand!.

the perfect gas gun with light recoil and ultra reliable :good: .

+1 on the franchi 712/raptor mine has also been faultless !!!!

My Beretta AL391 Tekneys cycles 65mm 30g Gamebore Supergame cartridges with no problems, but doesn't like 70mm Gamebore 28g Blue Diamond at all.

Very annoying, need to find a good clay cartridge before the Northants Semi shoot!

Edited by Seamus

Dont buy a cheap semi auto and want it to cycle well basically mate.

My old Beretta A303 will cycle most carts, but its not to keen on 21gram carts.

If you're gunna buy a semi, either get a second hand berreta or benelli or maybe one of them new Beretta Outlander for £900 brand new, not bad!

Edited by Rizzini

Dont buy a cheap semi auto and want it to cycle well basically mate.

My old Beretta A303 will cycle most carts, but its not to keen on 21gram carts.

If you're gunna buy a semi, either get a second hand berreta or benelli or maybe one of them new Beretta Outlander for £900 brand new, not bad!

What exactly is wrong with Winchester's, Browning's, Remington's???

I have seen more berreta's jamming at clay pigeon shoots than i have of any Winchester's and Browning's.

I have a Hatsan, nowt wrong with mine, cycles better than a few beretta's from what i've seen at the local clay ground. I agree that some Hatsan's have come out of the factory with a few faults, but come on they are only £400 new, so may be worth taking the risk. Eventhough there are a few Hatsan hater's out there, but there are many more Hatsan owners which are very happy with theirs. I am not saying that a hatsan is better than a beretta or any of the other big brands, but thay are not a bad gun for the price the cost and can be a very good idea to get one as you'r first semi auto to see if you like the idea of using a semi, then if yes upgrade to a better make. Definitely if i was buying a new semi, i'd either buy a SX3 or a Maxus, and without doubt would be very happy with whichever i get when the fund's allow.

What exactly is wrong with Winchester's, Browning's, Remington's???

I have seen more berreta's jamming at clay pigeon shoots than i have of any Winchester's and Browning's.

I have a Hatsan, nowt wrong with mine, cycles better than a few beretta's from what i've seen at the local clay ground. I agree that some Hatsan's have come out of the factory with a few faults, but come on they are only £400 new, so may be worth taking the risk. Eventhough there are a few Hatsan hater's out there, but there are many more Hatsan owners which are very happy with theirs. I am not saying that a hatsan is better than a beretta or any of the other big brands, but thay are not a bad gun for the price the cost and can be a very good idea to get one as you'r first semi auto to see if you like the idea of using a semi, then if yes upgrade to a better make. Definitely if i was buying a new semi, i'd either buy a SX3 or a Maxus, and without doubt would be very happy with whichever i get when the fund's allow.

I didnt say anything was wrong with these makes, i did'nt even mention them. This is the thing with these forums, everybody tries to better other peoples answers or look for floors.

What you could have said that would have been a mature answer is "As well as Beretta's and Benelli's, you should consider a Winchester, Browning etc" I dint post much anymore and have remembered why now. Shame really because l like to help put people but most of the time you get other members trying to slate you're view. Never mind!

But yes i agree, winchesters or browning aint bad. And again, Hatsan have gotten better over the years. I worked in a gun shop and we sold a few of these guns. The first generation not being so good, but today they have gotten better. I have used one and found that they are a very cheap but cheerful gun and for a rough and tumble gun i would'nt hesitate getting one but i don't want one.

Why havent you mentioned Webley and Scott, Shadow, KFC, Franchi, Baikal the list goes on. Where are these in you're answer. I just tried giving a straight forward answer/oppinion to the guy and you have made it all complicate.

And while we are on the subject, lets have a look at a Topic you started about a semi auto not long ago, it reads

Just been having a look on guntrader.com whilst i cam across THIS which i had'nt heard anything or seen anything like it before. Looks very good, and as it's a beretta should be good. Quite cheap for the Beretta range though bot would imagine it would be a good contender against the Franchi semi's and the Winchester SX3.

Anyone used or got one???

Just a head's up for anyone looking for a new semi without breaking the bank

So, what was wrong with a Beretta again ?

Edited by Rizzini

I didnt say anything was wrong with these makes, i did'nt even mention them. This is the thing with these forums, everybody tries to better other peoples answers or look for floors.

What you could have said that would have been a mature answer is "As well as Beretta's and Benelli's, you should consider a Winchester, Browning etc" I dint post much anymore and have remembered why now. Shame really because l like to help put people but most of the time you get other members trying to slate you're view. Never mind!

But yes i agree, winchesters or browning aint bad. And again, Hatsan have gotten better over the years. I worked in a gun shop and we sold a few of these guns. The first generation not being so good, but today they have gotten better. I have used one and found that they are a very cheap but cheerful gun and for a rough and tumble gun i would'nt hesitate getting one but i don't want one.

Why havent you mentioned Webley and Scott, Shadow, KFC, Franchi, Baikal the list goes on. Where are these in you're answer. I just tried giving a straight forward answer/oppinion to the guy and you have made it all complicate.

And while we are on the subject, lets have a look at a Topic you started about a semi auto not long ago, it reads

Just been having a look on guntrader.com whilst i cam across THIS which i had'nt heard anything or seen anything like it before. Looks very good, and as it's a beretta should be good. Quite cheap for the Beretta range though bot would imagine it would be a good contender against the Franchi semi's and the Winchester SX3.

Lol well said rizzini !!!!

Haven't said that there's anything wrong with a Beretta mate, great gun's, but i personally rather the SX3's and Browing's semi's range like many others on the forum.