where,s the rabbits??

foxnet22

had a day out today with the hawk and went on a rather long but nice walk through some local woods.after gettin his flying weight right and getting him to a level of fitness i thought id vist these woods knowing theres always rabbits about and knowin that no one usually visits with guns,dogs ferrets thought id be on a winner for sure n get some flights in for the bird.well how wrong i was not a rabbit to be seen could,nt believe it, this is another area where they seemed to have vanished.even my missus has noticed the rabbits at her works place have all gone.i find this strange no signs of them,not even seen dead ones.what are your thoughts??.

reading other posts/topics, there seems to be alot of mxymatosis all over the country.

Also, according to my cousin who is my permission owner, the rabbits tend to move about dependant on the available food (crops).

Also they can change their feeding times in response to different things ie more people about.

Edited by TaxiDriver

reading other posts/topics, there seems to be alot of mxymatosis all over the country

yeah mate bt surely i,d be seeing them here and there.on one of my permissions they had this and the foxes seemed to clean them up.but this place a few months ago was crawling with rabbits now none.not a sign and no sign of foxes to.

Edited by foxnet22

on my local golf course we would average 10 to 12 rabbits a night easy without shooting at every one we seen, these days we are lucky to see 10 to 12 rabbits a night! might have something to the pr**k i bumped in to one night with an air rifle and night vision he didn't even have permission, cheeky bas***d, its either that or they just breeding the same. any one else got issues with people poaching on their permission?

on my local golf course we would average 10 to 12 rabbits a night easy without shooting at every one we seen, these days we are lucky to see 10 to 12 rabbits a night! might have something to the pr**k i bumped in to one night with an air rifle and night vision he didn't even have permission, cheeky bas***d, its either that or they just breeding the same. any one else got issues with people poaching on their permission?

Yep! I've just been for a walk around one of my permissions and not seen a single rabbit where I would normally expect to see half a dozen. On talking to one of the local residents I have found out that there has been a couple of lads seen leaving with what looked like "a bag full of rabbits" and "ferreting gear"! They had to be poaching as I know that I am the only one with permission from the farmer!

it is so annoying, these idiots who cant be bothered or look too scruffy to get their own permission give the sport a bad name and make all shooters look bad. today poaching should be a thing of the past, most poachers used to do it as they needed the food, today i imagine most poachers just do it as they can get a bit of extra cash of a bent game dealer.

winds me up!

Erm... game dealers are bent if they buy dead rabbits off someone they don't check has permission to take them? :blink:

Maybe so, but you can bet that it happens, and maybe more often that any of us think! Rabbits are not quite the same as deer - There's no "tracability" with rabbits and let's face it if a game dealer asks if "the seller" has permission to take them and the "seller" says "Yes, of course I do, they came from ..such and such a place.. then the game dealer isn't going to waste time phoning up and checking!

Edited by Frenchieboy