Screw in chokes

Elmer Fudd.

Having only got back into shooting recently, I've obviously missed out on a few developments regarding screw-in chokes. My Miroku has the short invector flush fit chokes. On looking at Nigel Teagues website I see lots of different ones such as Invector Extended, Invector Ported, Invector Super Extended and Invector Super Extended Ported. I suppose the porting

reduces muzzle flip, but why the "Extended"????? What difference does this make???

Could someone more knowledgeable explain what/why please. When ya don't know, ya don't know. :unsure: :unsure: Ta in advance.

When you open the gun have a look on the side of the barrels near to the ejectors and it shoulod be stamped either 'INV' for Invector choke OR 'INV +' for Invector Plus chokes.

Invector and Invector Plus are not interchangeable as far as Im aware so do check if you are planning to buy any new ones.

Ive been shooting for about 18 months and although Im (very) far from being an expert I can't tell any difference between the flush fitting or extended ones in terms of performance so if I were you I'd bung 1/4 and 1/2 in and forget about them (for sporting clays that is)

Guest cookoff013

the different chokes also represent the different barrel sizes.

sub bore and overbored barrels have smaller or bigger barrels than the classic 12 bore being .729" . my merkel is way overbored. it has 18.9mm barrels. being .744, but the restriction on the choked barrel is 0.055" that equates to extrafull + then some.

the manufacturers have there own interpritation of 12gauge, but most have sub bore or optimabore or overbored.

the reason being, better patterns from different barrels.

The extended chokes are longer and therefore have a more gradual taper and / or a longer parallel section which is meant to help stabilise the shot better than the shorter flush chokes.

Weather they actually achieve any benefits over the flush ones I don’t know as I have not patterned both however the marketing department is convinced they do.

Ported chokes are meant to reduce muzzle flip, I have used ported chokes in the past and I did not notice any reduction in flip I did notice they are a ****** to clean though .

Edited by timps

Teague extended chokes have a knurled section outside the barrel which means you can change/tighten chokes by hand rather than having to use their choke key. If you can live with looking at 1/2 inch of knurled stainless steel at the end of your barrels then they're the ones to go for. If, however, you prefer to look at a "traditional" barrel end the go for the non extended. I doubt that the extra 1/2 inch makes any difference to shot passing at 1,400 feet per second or to gun balance, despite what certain owners may say!

When you open the gun have a look on the side of the barrels near to the ejectors and it shoulod be stamped either 'INV' for Invector choke OR 'INV +' for Invector Plus chokes.

Invector and Invector Plus are not interchangeable as far as Im aware so do check if you are planning to buy any new ones.

Ive been shooting for about 18 months and although Im (very) far from being an expert I can't tell any difference between the flush fitting or extended ones in terms of performance so if I were you I'd bung 1/4 and 1/2 in and forget about them (for sporting clays that is)

absolutely correct, not interchangeable on the INV INV+

a lot of guys use the extra length instead of longer barrels, myself included, its a swing speed thing, though not for all, again preference, i do use two Browning Ultra XS Barrel sets, one flush with I.C in both and one set with IMP Mod in both, quicker to change the barrels than chokes, i like the same in both barrels, especialy when shooting sporting with true pairs in close, having one tight and one lose tends to complicate things, i would throw in two I.C. and leave them there, less to worry about as you start off.

just my thoughts.

Martin.