Hunters new kit!

Hunter

Well, the Remington Subs were pretty useless. Every second or third shot is supersonic and makes a hell of a crack even with the mod on.

I didnt have this once using the Eley Sub HP's. These grouped half inch at 60 meters (second box of ammo run through it) so its looking good so far. I will take the rifle to the shooting range tonight and see what works well. I have a box of Lapua, a box of Winchester, and the last Remingtons.

Does it have to be Hollow Point for hunting? as I know the club ammo is good stuff for accuracy. I can also buy it there for use at home.

Good news, I found out my ticket is semi open, and the .222 is clear for vermin! :angry: mmm.. 200 meter bunnies..

Please do not use 'solids' for bunny bashing as they tend to plough straight through, and keep on going.

Also, as they weigh more than hollowpoints, a ricochet may travel a damn sight further.

They are more accurate than hollowpoints (that's why the target guys use them), but it is a state of horses for courses.

Don

semi-open is a sort of aquired name for a closed ticket with the condition that you can shoot anywhere which is cleared for the round. So it dosent actually have to be entered on your ticket like land used to be a few years back.

This is just a time saving device put in place to try and cut back on the waiting lists. no point clearing the same piece of land twice. You can just ring up and check to see if the land is cleared.

very nice kit hunter, look forward to seeing it friday

The winchester and eley are the most popular two rounds for hunting, however i have never managed to source enough lapua to consider trying it, it should be very good ammo. ive got some eley tennex which i will be trying on friday to see if the target stuff is actually that much mroe accurate than the eley plus i use.

i would be hesitant about using molly coat bullets through your rifle (assuming those are molly) i am told (never actually used them) that they make the barrel impossible to clean out the molly coating, so its no good with regular ammo from that point onwards. I think we need 'the bear' or fister's opinion on this as i think he mentioned he used molly coated.

Hey Nick , ive got a box of Lapua here! il save it for friday, and you can try it in your gun if you wish.

I did pop out for Charlie tonight.. but my lamp consists of a maglight. I had a perfect chance of a clear shot, but I hesitated the last second, then too late. I called for a bit, and then two foxes showed up, but too far away, and quickly ran off. Must get a decent lamp next..

So far the Eley subs are the best in the rifle grouping half inch in the wind, at around 60 meters. Pitty I cannot use HP's at the club to zero.

I agree that HP bullets are best, I just wanted to see what peoples veiws are. I will definatley stick to them from now on.

Is the Eley Plus super or sub sonic? I should try that as well if its good.