Hunters new kit!

Hunter

Wow. What a day!

8AM I was up. Today would be a big day, so Hunter grabs his packet containing FAC, and jogs down to the station. There he hops onto the train, arrives in town on time for a brisk walk straight to the gunshop.

And In the gunshop waiting for me was:

Tikka .222, Sako Finnfire Varmint, cleaning kit, ammunition, targets etc etc.

But also, laying around in the back was a Swaro 6X42! just serviced. New internals, polished, cleaned glass etc.. Nice! I had a natter with the chaps, and they gave me a very nice deal indeed. :angry: Including expensive mounts.

Unfortunatley I had not enough money for the shotgun, so that has to wait a bit, as the scope took priority.

Back home, the boxes unravel.

Ooooooo Whats inside!!!

74d839f5.jpg

Rifle 1) Sako finnfire Varmint .22lr

91d71bc3.jpg

ad96b365.jpg

Now fitted with a BSA Platinum 6-24X44 courtesy of Optics Warehouse nice and cheap from the clearance section.

16a2425f.jpg

Rifle number 2) Tikka T3 Varmint (yes I like heavy Varmint rifles)

bed2e402.jpg

e108e7ef.jpg

Please excuse closed bolt, as these were taken closed for the photos. Otherwise, safety first, and the bolt is either open or removed.

3459102b.jpg

Bits and bobs to get me going, including some ammo.

071dd7ab.jpg

35600033.jpg

After setting the scope up and getting the zero right, the rifle was ready to be quickly ready for its first hunt, and my first ever hunt with a .22lr. This is 6 hours after buying it :angry:

guns040.jpg

1X 60 yard bunny, shot off my knee in the middle of a field. Really made me grin remembering I would have had to be on hands and knees in the mud to get to withing 30 yard for an airgun shot. This bunny was barley interested in me at that range. The next was shot supported on a fence post, 40-45 meter shot.

And the final was a free hand shot at 10 meters.

Hmmm.. me and the Sako will get on well..

Must go back for more Eley Subs (HP)

Cheers to everyone at PW for getting me through my FAC!

Nice gear there hunter but I'm confused :good:

My .22lr don't got ammo like that?

A well you see this is a special .222, 22lr. :oops:

Im sure you can get a drill, bore out the chamber a bit, and shove these rounds into it :angry:

(ok not a good idea)

Thanks for your kind replies. Indeed I will add lots of pictures as time goes on, hopefully Nick will show me a few tricks when we go for a shoot. :rolleyes:

Just wondering, since you said you took the train, you got 2 rifles and had planned on getting a shotgun the same day, as well as all the gear. How on earth did you get that lot home :rolleyes:

John

Cheers for the posts people :angry:

John, thats what brothers are for. I was at the gun shop before he had even woken up and had his breakfast. Then I gave his mobile a ring and we brought the whole lot back :good:

Nice one hunter, I love my Sako and use it miles more than the shotgun, so I think you made the right choice about all the bits and bobs over the shotty :angry:

How long did it take to zero from scratch?

Have you found a round that suits it more than another yet, (I know it's early days, but was just wondering. I use Winchester subs and they seem ok).

P.

Well, the Remington Subs were pretty useless. Every second or third shot is supersonic and makes a hell of a crack even with the mod on.

I didnt have this once using the Eley Sub HP's. These grouped half inch at 60 meters (second box of ammo run through it) so its looking good so far. I will take the rifle to the shooting range tonight and see what works well. I have a box of Lapua, a box of Winchester, and the last Remingtons.

Does it have to be Hollow Point for hunting? as I know the club ammo is good stuff for accuracy. I can also buy it there for use at home.

Good news, I found out my ticket is semi open, and the .222 is clear for vermin! :angry: mmm.. 200 meter bunnies..

You do ideally want to be using HP in your LR if you can, they just hit so much harder and expand nicely on those chest shots. Best rounds I have found in my Sako are Eley Plus which group consistently, the hardest hitting round and also a very good alternative, is the Winchester Subs and they really do hit harder. I wouldnt be unhappy with either in my rifle.

What exactly do you mean by 'Semi Open'?