Pheasant

chapperz1991

Wasn't too sure where to post this, but after a great day out shooting yesterday, i bagged 4 pheasants, a rabbit and a squirell. i hung the pheasants up over night and i know they suggest hanging between 4 and 10 days but i just couldnt wait that long to cook one! as i've never eaten pheasant let alone cook one i've kept things pretty simple, whole bird, olive oil & herbs, salt & pepper. It's in the oven as we speak, got gammon for dinner as well, will they go together?

Paul.

As far as I'm concerned, simple's GOOD!

There seems to be a tendency nowadays - possibly driven by all the pretentious foodie programmes on tv - to plaster food with all sorts of unnecessary additional stuff, with the result that the taste of the main ingredient is masked or lost.

You can't do much better than go out, shoot, prepare and cook. Gets you in touch with nature, gives you a great sense of satisfaction from your effort and success, and puts top-quality food on your table.

So come on, tell us how it tasted!!

Well i must say it was delicous! It went with gammon so well, had it with sweet potato, pea's, green beans and yorkshire puds! my parents loved it and also my brother's g/f. definately have it again there is such a satisfaction of shooting and eating your own game. I have a hen pheasant hanging in the garage so will try a different recipe, perhaps the breast stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon, i saw that recipe on here.

Paul.