Stock refinish...

johnbaz

Hi all

I had a couple of weeks refinishing a pair of Daystate Airwolf stocks for a chap, he bought a kit and had a go himself but the oil wouldn't dry and stayed very tacky all the time :/

Anyhow, he'd seen pics of my stocks on Flickr that I had redone and messaged me, he offered me a BSA Superstar and ASI 4-12x56 superscope to undertake the job...

I couldn't wait to start!!

These are the sticky stox :yes:

0009.jpg

The tacky oil came away easily with nitromors, strangely the stocks went quite a bit darker in colour which was good as the owner wanted them darker anyhow..

0013stripped.jpg

the Nitromors wouldn't remove whatever the coating was that Daystate applied so complete sanding was required <_<

0022.jpg

Two coats of grain sealer..

0023.jpg

Around eight or ten coats of oil later (I lost count actually :blush: )

0035-FINISHED.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0034.jpg

I emailed pics all the way through the job and the owner was getting mighty worried up until the grain sealer was applied :rolleyes:

By the end he was over the moon with the job!!

My 'prize' for the job!!

0004.jpg

In fact the chap was so overjoyed with the outcome that he suprised me with a 'Bonus'!!!!

Scorpion1.jpg

Scorpion2.jpg

Scorpion3.jpg

Well, As it turns out, i'm over the moon now as I was hoping to buy a decent Scorpion to add to the collection of two BSA Magnum 240's and around a dozen or so Webley overlever pistols B)

Thanks for looking in, John :)

Hi all

I had a couple of weeks refinishing a pair of Daystate Airwolf stocks for a chap, he bought a kit and had a go himself but the oil wouldn't dry and stayed very tacky all the time :/

Anyhow, he'd seen pics of my stocks on Flickr that I had redone and messaged me, he offered me a BSA Superstar and ASI 4-12x56 superscope to undertake the job...

I couldn't wait to start!!

These are the sticky stox :yes:

0009.jpg

The tacky oil came away easily with nitromors, strangely the stocks went quite a bit darker in colour which was good as the owner wanted them darker anyhow..

0013stripped.jpg

the Nitromors wouldn't remove whatever the coating was that Daystate applied so complete sanding was required <_<

0022.jpg

Two coats of grain sealer..

0023.jpg

Around eight or ten coats of oil later (I lost count actually :blush: )

0035-FINISHED.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0034.jpg

I emailed pics all the way through the job and the owner was getting mighty worried up until the grain sealer was applied :rolleyes:

By the end he was over the moon with the job!!

My 'prize' for the job!!

0004.jpg

In fact the chap was so overjoyed with the outcome that he suprised me with a 'Bonus'!!!!

Scorpion1.jpg

Scorpion2.jpg

Scorpion3.jpg

Well, As it turns out, i'm over the moon now as I was hoping to buy a decent Scorpion to add to the collection of two BSA Magnum 240's and around a dozen or so Webley overlever pistols B)

Thanks for looking in, John :)

Hi,

How do you get that shine on the stocks

Thanks

Brian

Hi,

How do you get that shine on the stocks

Thanks

Brian

Hello Brian

It comes with rubbing the oil into the stock..

The chap bought a kit and had a go himself but he just painted it on, you have to apply a bit of oil and rub hard with your hand until it actually gets hot, this sets the curing of the oil off, if you don't then it stays tacky for years :/

Cheers, John :)

Hello Brian

It comes with rubbing the oil into the stock..

The chap bought a kit and had a go himself but he just painted it on, you have to apply a bit of oil and rub hard with your hand until it actually gets hot, this sets the curing of the oil off, if you don't then it stays tacky for years :/

Blimey, that's a cracking job, well done. Was that English Walnut or CCL oil?

Edited by BobSki

Blimey, that's a cracking job, well done. Was that English Walnut or CCL oil?

It's actually blended vegetable oils, the oil is actually blended by a chap Called welsh willie, his website is called Woodfield Gun Care Products

Will is a smashing bloke and is very helpful :good:

I've actually got to order some more oil and some polish, the polish is fantastic stuff B)

The full stock oiling kit is very reasonable and is easier to use than any of the other oils that i've tried :yahoo:

It's actually blended vegetable oils, the oil is actually blended by a chap Called welsh willie, his website is called Woodfield Gun Care Products

Will is a smashing bloke and is very helpful :good:

I've actually got to order some more oil and some polish, the polish is fantastic stuff B)

The full stock oiling kit is very reasonable and is easier to use than any of the other oils that i've tried :yahoo:

very nice .....i have a beech stock fitted to my Hw77 would this preperation as regards sealing and oil be beneficial to it

Dave

very nice .....i have a beech stock fitted to my Hw77 would this preperation as regards sealing and oil be beneficial to it

Dave

Hi Dave

If your stock is looking a bit 'tired' then it would be a good option..

The kit comes with water based dark walnut stain, the benefit of the water based stain is that the endgrain doesn't go almost black and the rest of the stock stay lighter in colour, also, it can be watered down for a lighter shade...

I've used the stain on a few stocks now but have used it at full strength for a really dark finish, I firstly used it on my Original mod45 that was a horrible factory finish yellow colour (just a single coat) with no grain showing at all, here's a couple of pics of it..

O45t1a.jpg

O45t1c.jpg

rifle454.jpg

A friend then wanted his Investarm shottie doing similar but very dark rather than like my Original...

Investarm 410..

INVESTARM1.jpg

Another mate (strangely- both are called Jim :yes: ) had a 20g Investarm and wanted his doing when he saw the 410 one!!

Jimsinvestarm20g1.jpg

Beech can be a bit boring without a bit of colour, I think the darker finish suits it more :good: