Toyota hilux surf

snowz

In the new year I need to change vehicles from my current 3.1td Isuzu trooper 3dr and was looking at Toyota Hilux Surfs.

I don't know much about them apart from Toyotas are reliable

Can any owners on here give me a bit of feed back on them, what to look for which ones to avoid

Thanks Richard

My beloved surf went to surf heaven a few months ago I had the 2.4 which is supposed to have head problems? the problem is people cant bleed the cooling system :yes: but thats another matter, ran mine for 8 years parts were cheap. only ever needed one section of the exhaust, brake pads and a cam belt in that time, however mine was approaching 18 years old when the water pump let go this cracked the head quicker than a working girls drwaers can come down and blew out the bottom corner of the rad ( rad in truth was rotten but I was not aware of it) anyway it was beyond economic repair, the 3.0L may have fared better had the water pump failed as yes they are a bit more bullet proof than the 2.4, but either way rember this truck weighs 2 tons it will do 25 MPG at BEST and it will be at least 15 years old? I decided on a newer(03) grand vitara I am getting a lot more MPG it goes where I want and its better around town and it only cost me £2.600 you will be paying that for a lot older surf if you can find one in good nick,

just something to think about.

KW

My friend has the 2.4 its a nice truck but when bought it he did put a new engine in it. Just remember the legal tow weights on these are rubbish at about 2200kg we have put a lot more behind it and it handles the weight but it is not legal (even the

3.0 ones are the same). I think the LWB trooper is up to landrover level at 3500kg and the SWB not much below that.

Edited by ferguson_tom

My trooper is just a work horse used for shooting and taking dogs out etc I've removed rear seats got large MT tyres on an used for what it was made for.

Due to personal circumstance I need a 5 door rear seats and a slightly smaller engine size will be more economical than the thirsty 3.1td in my trooper

Had discoverys, vitaras SJ's range rovers just fancied something different again