When to apply for a Centre Fire

ging125

Open? or no territorial restrictions? Were land needs to be cleared for use of that calibre it is not "open" and if you used say a .223 on land only cleared for HMR you would be in breech of your FAC conditions on a "closed cert" however someone on an "open" could use the gun anywere they saw as safe.

Perhaps your proffesion gave the chief constable enough good reason to give you an open cert? But guidelines on "open" certs are quite strong. I am amazed and somewhat scared if the whole of North Yorks give open cert out to all new applicants. Though it seems to be a trend these days to save time on inspections? It might help if those who were doing the inspections had the know how to take the applicant out with them and ask questions of them, the old crew used to suss the guy not the land :rolleyes: Indeed there is no "safe" land, yet i regulary seem to hear of land passed for .223 rem but not 22-250 / 17hmr but not .22lr etc which is just plain crazy

You have to nominate some land, to give your good reason. That land has to be cleared for the calibre you request, but I had land that was cleared for a .22RF upped to .308 over the phone. I can shoot my .308 in the garden if I think it was safe!

I can't see what benefit closed certs give? I would say a good chunk of my shooting is with other people on others land that would be daft to have to get each bit cleared. It's a farce. Even 'cleared' land has unsafe shots.

Hi All!

I was wondering when I would be eligible/ deemed fit by the local constabulary to posess a centre fire rifle.

I have been shooting for about 3 years, started off with a air arms s410 about 3years, shotgun about 18months ago and then applied and got FAC for .22lr and 17hmr in early sept, both of which Have had around 500 rounds through them.

The permission i have now needs some fox control but not sure if it is worth my while applying for a variation for a centre fire!

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

If ypu have good reason it will be fine

• 4 months later...

do you need a slot on your certificate for a night vision scope ?

no you just need another gun if you want to have a night vision scope and a normal scope due to not been able to use the nv scope in the day,

easy to apply for but if you have endless money there is a nv scope you can use in the day, well i have heard of it not ever seen it but it will be more than my kite was, £4800. lota money like init to shoot a fox.

here in shetland all the certs are open, i handnt heard of anything else until i joined PW, and i have never heard of land being cleared for a certain calibre. the police is very laid back up here, a 21 year old boy applied for his first FAC and was granted it with a .22lr, .17hmr, 22-250, 243 and a 338 lapua mag :o :o :o

Some forces are so relaxed compared with others, if you were asking the same question here in Gloucestershire you would be struggling to get a 243 for fox control, they would tell you to go for 223 unless you had good reason to apply for 243 for deer and fox, they only let me have a 308 when I started culling for Natural England (fallow) and some of the ground has pig problems. When I had my first centrefire it was on closed conditions while both .22lr and hmr had been on open ticket for a couple of years. Postcode lottery I'm afraid. :yes:

I just applied for sgc and firearms and although certs not arrived in post yet FEO said I would be fine for rimfire and .243 for foxs.

I had to supply refernces from people I shoot with but I'm with with west yorks too so you shouldn't have a problem in theory at least.

You have to nominate some land, to give your good reason. That land has to be cleared for the calibre you request, but I had land that was cleared for a .22RF upped to .308 over the phone. I can shoot my .308 in the garden if I think it was safe!

I can't see what benefit closed certs give? I would say a good chunk of my shooting is with other people on others land that would be daft to have to get each bit cleared. It's a farce. Even 'cleared' land has unsafe shots.

I think it's more a case of having to gain a couple of years experience on a closed cert and proving you're safe before they allow the shooter to risk assess the land themselves, like you lucky open cert holders can do.

I've recently had my FAC interview, 22LR, 17HMR and chanced my arm with 22 Hornet. Sussex allow 17HMR for fox so I've crossed out the CF calibre and I'll crack on with the other two, which for my requirements will cover everything. More than happy.

Closed cert though of course!!!