Power to make clean kill

Marine1980

Sorry to bother you all but im new to shooting and as well as shot gun shooting im also interested in doing a bit of Rabit Shooting on a local farm that has a problem.

The Question is i dont mind shooting any vermin as long as i get a clean kill and have the power in the gun to do this, What sort of power does the air gun that i use need to have in order for me to kill these bunnies humanley??

I wouldnt use anything bellow 11ftlbs. I have tried it, and its just a mess.. youl regret using your old grandads BSA Meteor.

If you want to 'do a bit of rabbit shooting', you will need to have the right kit. Either you go all the way and buy a full power 12ftlbs rifle, or use your shotgun, because out of respect for the quarry, its good to have a clean kill.

You need between 10.5Ftlbs/12ftlbs. Anything less is simply inefficient and anything above that your going to need a FAC. Ideally you need to hit them at ranges out to 50 yards max really as well. Hope it helps

-Andrew

Hi Skyfox, What rifle are you using? Do you really manage clean kills up to 50 yards? Thats very impressive shooting. What range have you zeroed your scope to? I guess you hold over for the 50 yard shots. Just curious as I am going to upgrade and don't want to make the same mistakes that I made when I brought my springer.

Cheers.

How and what is the process for getting an FAC?

At the moment i own a Rat catcher air rifle which i was given about two years ago, on the specificatins is mentions 500ft/lbs not sure what this means but it couldnt put a hole in a wet paper bag!!!

Lee

At the moment i own a Rat catcher air rifle which i was given about two years ago, on the specificatins is mentions 500ft/lbs not sure what this means but it couldnt put a hole in a wet paper bag!!!

Lee

Hi Mate, The rat catcher probably puts out about 8 foot/lbs. Not really up to much at over 15 yards. have a look at http://www.airsportdirect.com they give the spec. If you enter fire arms certificate on google this link gives good info http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.davidson1/fac_app.htm that explain the application process.

I'm also new to the whole shooting scene as well. I suggest that you have a really good read about forum members choice of rifle so you don't make the same mistakes as I did and buy the wrong one for the job. I am going to upgrade to a multi shot pcp so that I can maintain a better degree of stealth for those lovely bunnies. Good luck.

Lee

It probably said 500fps, which is the speed of the pellet, not the power in pounds.

Otherwise it would be the power of a small centerfire rifle :)

As above, it wont really be a suitable gun passed 15-20 meters MAX before you will wound something :good:

hi again, I don't personally shoot out to 50 Yard just yet, although im sure the rifle could do it. Im using a 12ftlbs Brocock Enigma Deluxe in .22 , the furthest Ive gone out to so far is about 30 yards which is what ive got my scope set to. Ive got photos of it on my site which is linked at the bottom of my posts. Ive had clean kills at 30 yards, as long as you can judge the holdover and get your pellet to a headshot at those ranges im sure it can be done (practice practice practice is the key). You would definately need the full power 12ftlbs for 50 yards as well.

As for getting a FAC, I know your gonna need a gun cabinet and have to speak to your local police authority about that because it can be slightly different for each region.

-Andrew

Anybody using a 12ft/lb rifle shouldnt make a habbit of shooting live targets past 40yards, to do so is not humane. The rifle could probably do it but you can not be garunteed of a perfect shot everytime. The chances of a miss increase greatly and that isnt what a humane hunter would do.

As Long as your rifle is pumping arounf 10ft/lbs upwards, you'll be good to go on rabbits out 30 yards. But the closer you get to 12ft/lb the better. Don't be tempted to play with your rifle in an attempt to make more powerful. This can bring you into dodgy ground if it actually goes over the legal limit. Pellet weight plays a big part in this, springers and PCP are affected differently.

Is there much of a choice of rifles that sit on or around the 10/12ft/lbs power range?

Lee

http://www.airgunbuyer.com Mate have a look at this site it lists loads of rifles and their specs.

You will find sound advice on the forum though. I think one of the best pieces of advice I was given was go and try rifles for size. Your local gun club would be only to happy to help you.

good luck.

Is there much of a choice of rifles that sit on or around the 10/12ft/lbs power range?

Lee

As a rule of thumb a spring powered rifle will come as new with APPROX 11.5lb. A p.c.p. rifle will come withe 10.5 lb. This is because a p.c.p will vary it's output depending on pellet used and tempreature.

Springer (not tempreature sensitive, unless you are REALLY anal and talk lubricant viscosity!) rifles will be LESS powerful with a heavy pellet and a p.c.p. will be MORE powerful with a heavy pellet. A warm day will also increase power. These power fluctuations are fairly small but tune a p.c.p on light pellets in the winter and then take it out of a warm car on a Summers day and whop a Bisley Magnum pellet in and you could be needing a soap on a rope for your stay at the greybar hotel!

To be honest DON'T GET HUNG UP ON POWER OUTPUTS!!! CONCENTRATE ON ACCURACY :good:

To be honest DON'T GET HUNG UP ON POWER OUTPUTS!!! CONCENTRATE ON ACCURACY :good:

I have to agree with snakebite on this point. Accuracy is of paramount importance. Your gun could be putting out 50Ft Lbs but if you cant put your shot on a 10p piece then you wont be killing rabbits cleanly.

As you are a newcomer to the sport I'll warn you that your clean,humane kill probably wont look like that to you. Your average rabbit will more than likely jump around kick or even turn somersaults when recieving its medicine, even if it is a perfect headshot. Dont be alarmed, it will have died instantly but its motor nerves may continue to fire for a minute. It is well worth selecting rabbits that are well away from thier holes as sometimes they can get well down them when they are in thier death throes and can be difficult to extract.

Spend some time shooting paper targets before you have a crack at the rabbits and then you will know what your maximum range is.

An interesting point about air temperature and pcps. I have never heard that before. I know Co2 powered guns are affected by air temperature. My AA S410k is apparently immune to this as the point of impact hasn't moved in 4 years other than to try one other brand of pellets and I shoot it all year round.

I reccomend using good quality round headed pellets as they will perform much better over distance than pointed or flatheads etc. Flatheads and hollow points are great for close range. Best to stick to head shots, a

chest/heart shot rabbit can go quite a distance berore it expires.

Good hunting ! :)

Leeboy

Thanks for that leeboy thats good information to have.

I may be a little wrong saying this and i may find its slightly different when in practice but ive been in the Armed Forces for the last 7 years and would like to think i can shoot a little, or at least i hope i can!!!!!! :good:

Thanks Lee

I may be a little wrong saying this and i may find its slightly different when in practice but ive been in the Armed Forces for the last 7 years and would like to think i can shoot a little, or at least i hope i can!!!!!! :)

Thanks Lee

Well with a user name like that I kind of guessed!

It is a completley different scenario between a .22 air rifle and an SA80, but with 7 years of the worlds finest training you should be giving us tips! :angry:

ok, accuracy is important, but surely if your gun doesnt have enough power to kill anything humanely, then you shouldnt be trying to shoot with it. This is just my view point. I would of said power is more important because its something that doesnt get better with practise.

ok, accuracy is important, but surely if your gun doesnt have enough power to kill anything humanely, then you shouldnt be trying to shoot with it. This is just my view point. I would of said power is more important because its something that doesnt get better with practise.

Any new or recently serviced air rifle is going to be powerful enough to do the job. However if all you are doing is wandering around spanking things up the bum with a mis placed pellet then take up knitting!

Accuracy should always take precidence over faffing around trying to get your 11lb rifle to deliver 11.9lb.

Leave the fettling to the gunsmith and you get more time to practice!

Humane power is no less or more inportant than Humane Aim. But since as you say power does not change the human element then becomes critical. So practice practice practice, once your happy you can consistetly hit a small target like a penny peice then your good to go on live targets.

Having said that, I would want to see anyone trying to hit a rabbiot at 30yards with a 6ft/lb pistol. So in that respect, power is important.

But isnt all this just common sense?!

But isnt all this just common sense?!

If only that was always the case !

you would be surprised at the amount of people that dont have that sort of common sense. And unfortunately there are those people that just dont give a toss. They are the people that make the rest of the world think that we are all hooligans ! Licensing..... now theres a topic !!!

regards

Leeboy

I reccomend using good quality round headed pellets as they will perform much better over distance than pointed or flatheads etc. Flatheads and hollow points are great for close range. Best to stick to head shots, a

chest/heart shot rabbit can go quite a distance berore it expires.

Leeboy

I may be a little wrong saying this and i may find its slightly different when in practice but ive been in the Armed Forces for the last 7 years and would like to think i can shoot a little, or at least i hope i can!!!!!! :good:

Thanks Lee

Well with a user name like that I kind of guessed!

It is a completley different scenario between a .22 air rifle and an SA80, but with 7 years of the worlds finest training you should be giving us tips! :good:

I'd recommend not buying pointed pellets ever! I've found them to be highly inaccurate! Flat and round heads are great as long as you buy a quality pellet, like Daystate FT, Webley Lazadome (hope these are still going to be made?) Bisley practice ect.

Did you ever do 25 yard marksman? (excuse me if this a silly question!) it used to be a standard test (in .22 at least) to get 5 shots under a penny? I've always tested myself to this, if I cant achieve this I either need practice or there's something wrong with the pellets or rifle!