Gun as a present ?

MG6065

Hi

I'm 17 and I got my SGC at the end of November, my uncle promised to buy me a shotgun when I got my licence to say thanks for helping on the farm last year when the weather was bad, The law states that at 17 I can receive a gun as a gift but I can't buy it , so how do we go about this, can we go in the shop together, I try it out for size and he pays the money , the gun then goes on his license and he transfers it to me? Or can it go straight on to mine, please ignore my ignorance but please fill me in ;) thanks very much!

As far as I am aware your uncle will need to buy the gun and have it added to his SGC, notifying the police that he has bought the shotgun within 7 days of purchase.

Once it is on his certificate he can then gift the shotgun to you and add it to your SGC. You both then need to notify the police that one he has gifted the shotgun to you and two you have recived the shotgun, within 7 days.

You can't just try the gun out and add it streight onto your licence with your uncle paying for it there and then, you have to follow the above process.

Most police forces have these transfer forms on their website or I think you can get generic ones off the BASC web site.

Edited by BerettaSV10

the gun i got wasnt from a shop

plus when does the law make things simple .? :hmm:

mabey you could do it that way get in touch with feo although having it on someones ticket then been put on your after a period of time would keep the police far more happy :good:

Isn't that just making it more complicated. If you go to the shop together why doesn't he just give you the money (a gift) in the shop and the gun will go straight on to your ticket.

Because as far as I gather, he's not 18 so can't legally buy a shotgun, it must be bought by an over 18, go on thier certificate stated as sold, then be gifted to him and entered upon his cert as gifted. I do hate the daft legislation, thank Gawd I'm 18 now :lol:

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

Isn't that just making it more complicated. If you go to the shop together why doesn't he just give you the money (a gift) in the shop and the gun will go straight on to your ticket.

Because as far as I gather, he's not 18 so can't legally buy a shotgun, it must be bought by an over 18, go on thier certificate stated as sold, then be gifted to him and entered upon his cert as gifted. I do hate the daft legislation, thank Gawd I'm 18 now :lol:

I don't know the law on this one, but that malarkey does seem dumb! :yes::yes:

OOPS! I missed the "not yet 18 bit" :oops:

This is from the BASC site:

15 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE

Between 15 and 17, with a certificate, you may be given or lent a shotgun (and cartridges) for up to 72

hours by another certificate holder and use them on private premises without supervision.

Making a gift of a shotgun requires an adult (18 or older) to follow the instructions on his shotgun

certificate. In practice this means conducting a full transfer of the shotgun by making an entry in table

two of the young recipient’s certificate stating the word “gift” in the relevant box. Both the person

giving and receiving the shotgun must then inform their own police licensing departments of the

transaction within 7 days by recorded delivery or by email to the email address designated by the

issuing authority.

Once you have been gifted a shotgun you may also lend your shotgun to other certificate holders for up

to 72 hours without the need for a written transfer to be made. If you have to lend your shotgun for

longer than 72 hours you must make an entry into table two of the borrower’s certificate. Both the

person transferring and receiving the shotgun must then inform their own police licensing departments

of the transaction within 7 days by recorded delivery or by email to the email address designated by the

issuing authority. When the shotgun is returned to you; the same process applies but in reverse.

Well when i had my license through when i was 16, i wanted a semi automatic, and we knew of one for sale by a friend. So me and my dad (which also has a license) went to test the gun and were really pleased with it, so we both put down on our license's "bought", then dad went to the Police station to explain what was happening and that we'd bought the gun and everything was fine :good: :good: :good:

you will not get a reply.(if all ok)

what simon 123 said seems right for where i am in Suffolk.

Just keep them up todate with what your doing, and if you dont know ask them.

they just want to know where the gun is and its safe with a clear paper trail of where it comes from.

cheers scott