Help, please

yates

My 10 month old black lab is driving me to dispare. I cannot stop him running to other dogs. On his own he sits, returns to command and is generally very obediant. As soon as another dog appears he runs straight off and ignores all attempts to stop him. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance-Tim

My 10 month old black lab is driving me to dispare. I cannot stop him running to other dogs. On his own he sits, returns to command and is generally very obediant. As soon as another dog appears he runs straight off and ignores all attempts to stop him. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance-Tim

a long leng of rope about 20ft tyed around your waist just has he gets to the end call his name

i had the same problem with my collie and i had to go back to basics with him making sure he responded straight away on the recall and a pop on the lead if he didnt, when out walking i had a long lead and if he made a run for it would call his name a sharp tug on the rope soon stopped him from doing it after a couple of times. make sure you dont allow the dog to get to full speed though as really risk damaging their necks.

i had the same problem with my collie and i had to go back to basics with him making sure he responded straight away on the recall and a pop on the lead if he didnt, when out walking i had a long lead and if he made a run for it would call his name a sharp tug on the rope soon stopped him from doing it after a couple of times. make sure you dont allow the dog to get to full speed though as really risk damaging their necks.

Good advice :good:

Got a friend with a dog or two?

This is a one session training fix!

Put your dog on the LEAD and walk him somewhere where you know there will be no other dogs on the day - get your friend to appear at the other end of the field/park/path whatever with his dog(s) off the lead. As SOON as you see him and the dogs, sit your dog up and gently praise/reward. If your dog tries to pull to the other dogs, turn around and walk off out of sight of them - repeat until your dog is sitting before YOU even see your friend and their dogs appear.

Now for the reward - once your dog is sitting and not imitating a salmon on a line, gently slip off his lead, keeping him in the sit and then let him go and play with the other dog(s) - this is under your control, you have let him go and see them - not under his own steam.

This is a very easy and quick fix, it is also essential, as not all dogs are going to be friendly to your lab charging in to see them, neither will their owners be. You will find, that as long as you are consistent, you lad will start to sit whilst out with you when he sees another dog - gives YOU the control to either bring him in and clip him up or let him play.

Mike

Got a friend with a dog or two?

This is a one session training fix!

Put your dog on the LEAD and walk him somewhere where you know there will be no other dogs on the day - get your friend to appear at the other end of the field/park/path whatever with his dog(s) off the lead. As SOON as you see him and the dogs, sit your dog up and gently praise/reward. If your dog tries to pull to the other dogs, turn around and walk off out of sight of them - repeat until your dog is sitting before YOU even see your friend and their dogs appear.

Now for the reward - once your dog is sitting and not imitating a salmon on a line, gently slip off his lead, keeping him in the sit and then let him go and play with the other dog(s) - this is under your control, you have let him go and see them - not under his own steam.

This is a very easy and quick fix, it is also essential, as not all dogs are going to be friendly to your lab charging in to see them, neither will their owners be. You will find, that as long as you are consistent, you lad will start to sit whilst out with you when he sees another dog - gives YOU the control to either bring him in and clip him up or let him play.

Mike

Very interesting indeed :good: