buying 12b cartridges

ilovemyheckler

I have seen it posted somewhare that this was changed and you needed a SGC to buy cartridges, how true that is I don't know.

Most if not all cartridge sellers ask to see your SGC so that they know who they are selling cartridges to, and have a valid reason to buy them.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/section/5 :good:

5 Restriction on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore guns.E+W+S.

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies. .

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person— .

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or .

(b )shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or .

(c )produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf. .

(3)An offence under this section shall be punishable on summary conviction with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

thats what i thought but i bought 500 cartridges yesterday from a local gun shop and although I had my SGC with me they didn't ask to see it or ask for my name & address

It happens all the time, especially at clay shoots, there are exceptions under the Firearms Acts, but it isn't your problem is it?