Flight pond

Hi guys

My newly created flight pool has finally filled up after the dry spell.an at at start of the season I was getting 25-30 mallard in a night . I had 1 small shoot with my dad mid December an since then I am lucky to get 4 mallard and but loads of teal where have they gone surly can't of scared them off... Any thoughts would be good

Ye am feeding it. Have seen no prints but could well be a fox! Ye your right dave no mallard but plenty if teal? Their is plenty of mallard in the area

Hi davies8990,Have I read your post right you are not getting mallard! just lots of teal??? :hmm:

Dave.

You got it. What u think?

Are you feeding it? Is there any mink or stoat or fox prints in the mud around the water, is there a island ?

None that I can see. ye do have an island .

Hi davies8990, Well as far as it goes I dont think you are doing anything wrong,and I know a lot of people that would die for a pond that draws in teal,in fact its my favorite duck shooting,the only thing you can try for next season is to put some call birds on the pond either mallard or call ducks maybe even rear a few duck to put on the pond so theres something to bring them and replenish the wild stock.But for this year carry on feeding and enjoy your teal and good luck.

Dave.

Edited by gamekeeper1960

Preditors are only gonna effect breeding sucsess. It might well be too deep now or too shallow mallard like to reach the bottom by tipping on established ponds but will flight onto flooded grass readilly. I shouldnt complain at the teal mind you these are more willing to feed in the very margins and walk out. If they are not there they are often somewere else (examine your freezer or new ponds/ fresh flood water in the area)

Hi guys

My newly created flight pool has finally filled up after the dry spell.an at at start of the season I was getting 25-30 mallard in a night . I had 1 small shoot with my dad mid December an since then I am lucky to get 4 mallard and but loads of teal where have they gone surly can't of scared them off... Any thoughts would be good

I davies myself and a friend run a small duck shoot we've got five ponds,like you we get alot of teal but not so many mallard,what we think,is that every time we have a good poor down with rain and theirs alot of splashes about we think the mallard are on the splashes because the mallard seem to like some new water as soon as the splashes dries up we get the mallar back on our ponds aswell as the teal,cheers.

I davies myself and a friend run a small duck shoot we've got five ponds,like you we get alot of teal but not so many mallard,what we think,is that every time we have a good poor down with rain and theirs alot of splashes about we think the mallard are on the splashes because the mallard seem to like some new water as soon as the splashes dries up we get the mallar back on our ponds aswell as the

teal,cheers.

Cheers for that mate. Sounds about right the one spot that does get a bit marshy I planted with game

Cover.. Also have just found out some one near buy has done quite abit of work on their pool and have put a few duck down so think they may be stealing some of them