dog's limping

Kes

Afternoon all,

We have a greta Dane cross mastiff which weighs about 60kgs.

I was exrcising him in the field the other day and being big and part Dane he runs to fast for my liking but is hard to control to that extent.

Anyway on this day, running flat out he suddenly pulss up, limping.

I can hear his knee joint softly 'clunking' at certain times and he favours the leg quite a bit and he hasnt run since.

I think his cruciate ligament in the knee has been torn slightly but I'm hoping he will recover with virtually no exercise and lots of rest.

Anyone any experience of this or similar and can I expect a huge Vets bill to get him properly fit.

We are not insured but will be for the next dogs!

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice.

both legs done on my springer £4000+ per leg cruicate ligaments and then more probs after , but get a vets opinion please.

if you hear clonking and i have in my dog , it turned out to be a miniscus tear in the knee joint ligament , it flaps about and sounds loud like a piece ot wood knocking together and its very painful for the dog too.

rest first , but a good vet should be able to manipulate the joint in such a way to get the right diagnosis