stock removal

landlord

need some help from you gunsmiths out there.

i am trying to remove the stock from my parker-hale/ugartachea 12g sxs to work on it and think there must be a hidden fixing screw that i have missed.#

i have removed the 2 screws at the top(1 under the safety and 1 under the top lever).2 screws holding trigger guard(behind triggers) and unscrewed the complete trigger guard.i can wiggle the action up and down but cannot pull the stock off,no other obvious fixings,but i am clearly missing something.any advice/help appreciated.

if poss i dont want to have to take to a gunsmith(nearest one 30 miles almost). i have a reasonable amount of experience in disassembling various fire arms but this has beaten me so far.

There should be one screw under the top lever.

If you remove the trigger guard, there should be two screws going from the bottom of the action to the top emerging either side of the safety catch.The ones next to the safety catch should be only the other end of the two bolts which are under the trigger guard.

thanks for this amazingly fast response,i have removed screws as per your photo but as far as i can see there is only 1 thru bolt which is the one behind the safety,the 1 forward (if it was a thru bolt,would exit in the centre of the rear trigger).the stock can be wiggled up and down so its not being retained at this end,it seems to be where the stock meets the action if you see what i mean.

There are two underneath.

Take off the trigger guard - two screws and the guard itself screws out. You will see one screw at the rear - take out.

Take screw out from under top lever. You also have to take out the large front screw - nearer the knuckle joint - it seems a long way forward, but it holds the base in place. Take out the base and the other screw will be visible, which goes from bottom to top.

thanks gentlemen....mission accomplished thanks to your detailed instructions.i didnt see that the floor plate screw had to come out.it is such a good fit that it looks like one complete piece,not two.now i just have to figure out how to extract the firing pins.

once again,many thanks.

on this one nothing falls out,like you i have disassembled various firearms in the past but this is my first sxs.they will be differnces in the many types of action such as boxlock and sidelock etc,i am sure that the forum members will be happy to expand on this if you have a particular query.

Glad it has gone okay. When you posted, I took my Ugartechea out and took a photo, further posts entailed getting it back out and dismantling a bit.

If I had known about your firing pins, I would have kept dismantling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought occurred - are they not disc set strikers? Look at the breech face, you should see two discs with holes in. You need to unscrew these and gain access to the firing pins from the front.

You need to make a tool to remove these. Two metal rods held in a pair of mole grips should do it.

Edited by Gordon R

you are absolutely correct,but as i had to remove stock anyway i thought i could access from the rear(so to speak).my problem with the strikers is that when the gun is fired 1 of the pins stays proud of the breach and the other is slightly recessed,which is correct.

That would depend on whether they are sprung. Remove them and check for a spring. Your description suggest one might have a spring, whereas the others doesn't. It may be that they are both sprung, but one is dragging.

If one does have a spring - I suggest you put one in the other.

Having said that - disc set strikers are something I have never dealt with.