gamekeeping

no money in it, but a bit of advice for you.

when i left school all i wanted to do was be a game keeper. i missed the deadline for joining the collage. so i did a few other jobs,pig farming labouring and fitting out porter cabins. next summer came round and i picked money over the game keeping job, qualified as a bricklayer and earned decent money, i regret it everyday, im not just saying that either i do think about it everyday. if its what you want to do, do it dont ask on internet forums, put an add in the paper,phone,email,go and see all the shoots,estates,game farms you can get to. if you draw a blank offer to work for free for a while. dont give up tho, or you will end up like me. if only i could turn back time

how old are you? and where abouts are you living? As said above its a way of life and by all accounts not the easiest. I once read somewhere that 30,000 people have an interest in it and there are three thousand jobs.. it was something like that.. but you get the idea, there isnt loads of work about, but that being said people dip in and out of it every now and then so jobs do come up. Dont just focus on becoming a game keeper, follow your dream, because it might pull through for you, but remember you might put your back out three years down the line, and then you will have no qualifications to fall back on, and loose your job, house and lively hood in then process.

I have always wanted to be a keeper, and for four years i have helped on a syndicate and three years on another, unpaid just to get some experience of it. I also contacted some of the larger estates, and had months and months of e mails saying, we already have all positions filled, but did manage to get a few days experience here and there.. i think the whole thing is made much easier if you know the right people, the problem for me is i dont. good luck to you though!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting into keepering is difficult, believe me im still in the trying stage.

Im currently a mature student at sparsholt college, doing a level 3 diploma in gamekeeping. College is one way, depending on circumstances but experience is everything in this world. Currently helping a keeper out over an hours drive away, whenever i got a day off or free time.

But sound advice above, this is my dream and im following it but its taken major sacrifices :ermm:

Its not well paid, work long hours, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year in all weathers and can be lonely at times. Hope im not putting you off, just to realise what it takes. But my god, already im loving it and making me more determined to acheive my dream.

Its not a job, its a way of life :D

Try and get to know a local keeper or shoot and offer your services, mostly volunter/unpaid but it'll pay dividends in the long term.

Just remember.............its not what you know, its who you know.

Anyhow, good luck and all the best, lets us know how you get on :)

When I was 14 years old I knocked on a local keepers door to gain some experience. I must admit, I was pooping my pants. Knocked, no answer, so I came back the next day after school, spoke to his pregnant Mrs who then called him. 5 mins later this massive defender 90 came roaring accross the field, out jumped this massive bloke and asked what I wanted, I explained, next thing I was tagging along with him, Ive known him for 10 years now, he is getting married this year, Im the cheif usher at his wedding, I look after his house when he goes away, and every Sunday I go round his for dinner. He is one of my best mates, and on the shoot I am the informal underkeeper. I get all the shooting I could want, decoying, bunny bashing, we do all the foxing together, he lamps, I shoot. We go stalking together. If I didnt knock on his door..................well, god knows what I would be doing.

Pluck up some courage and do the same!

Get this man a drink as this is the way to do it!! for sure you will most likely turn up at the worst possible time but when is a good time in the middle of summer when you have been up since 4am still remembering that you only went to bed at 11pm the night before and got up halfway through just to check the rearing field is still as good as you left it (and if you have a passion for the job the worry wont let you stay in the warmth of a bed) does just make when you do come in for that 20min lunch break a dirty moment to your self, advice that I can give is dont go dressed like your looking for a pigeon day but also dont go like your lost because you have taken the wrong road out of town if you know what i mean

be smart in you appearance this will impress ~(smart on appearance means you take pride in my book) Dont ask personal questions like how many do you put down? as he will never tell you its not your place to know!

but most important get straight to the point why you are there, he most likely will not have time for small talk and will certainly ask what you want in the end!

Edited by tikka lad