Where to set them out

andy74

On my permission i have a small wood, with a hedgerow going down the side for about a mile, but all the pigeons are flying behind the wood, and to far away from the hedgerow to shoot.

If you only had a set of 12 half shell pigeon decoys, and a full bodied decoy,(no flappers or magnets at the moment). where would you first of all position your hide, and secondly what kind of pattern would be more effective to use with the decoys, and would you guys also use a crow decoy somewhere in the pattern, does this really work?

Ive managed to find myself a couple of hours tonight toget out. Is around 7ish a good time to decoy? would i be better on the edge of the woods, or along the hedgerow, and try to bring them off the flight path?.

I think you'll be wasting your time especially without a rotary or some sort (a lot) of movement. You didn't say if there was any crop alongside the wood/hedgerow and without a feeding area to draw them into I reckon you're on a loser. If you have the time go out and prove me wrong.

A crow doesn't necessarily want to be IN the pattern but on it's own a little way off the pattern. It could bring in another crow but used in this way it's more of a confidence decoy for the pigeons.

The problem tends to be that birds skimming along a wood as you describe will be going to somewhere and getting them off the flightline is hard.Deeks set out at 40-45 mtrs "may" pull them but as highlander says you need movement,even a bouncer/floater/whatever may bring them in for a closer look.

Clover is a top crop at anytime :good:

If you're off the flight line and they aren't already on the clover you're unlikely to drag them across to you without a rotary or flapper. 7PM is a good time to just lurk in a hedgerow (well cammed up) and try to ambush a few pigeons, as they are looking for a last mouthful before roosting and at that time they won't want to be far from their roost. You'll never get a big bag this way but you can normally get enough to fill a pie :good:

P03

As has been mentioned, clover is a top crop for pigeons, especially at this time of year (in my area anyway).

Conceal yourself well, put out what decoys you have and give it a try.

I would be more confidant doing this, than just sitting in the hedgerow and hoping one flies by.