CONSISTENCY

Ok so I'm relatively new to clay shooting, and have done plenty of homework and the one thing that keeps cropping up is the fact that everyone says all guns shoot differently even with the same chokes and cartridges being used, why is this? Surley my SV10 Prevail 12g will shoot the same as the next SV10 Prevail 12g providing we use the same chokes and cartridges, if these guns are machined and maunufactured to the highest tollerances and specifications they should be identical. As an engineer myself i can build two multi-stage press tools and they will perform and produce in exactly the same way.

Ok so I'm relatively new to clay shooting, and have done plenty of homework and the one thing that keeps cropping up is the fact that everyone says all guns shoot differently even with the same chokes and cartridges being used, why is this? Surley my SV10 Prevail 12g will shoot the same as the next SV10 Prevail 12g providing we use the same chokes and cartridges, if these guns are machined and maunufactured to the highest tollerances and specifications they should be identical. As an engineer myself i can build two multi-stage press tools and they will perform and produce in exactly the same way.

I struggle with this too. :hmm:

The differences don't really bother me, but I have experienced a different feel with different guns of the same spec. Back when I thought I might be able to afford a DT10 :lol: I tried 3 different ones and they all felt very different. It didn't make any difference to the way I shot with them, but they did feel different. However, for all I know, that might just have been due to them being slightly different cast, stock length, comb height or whatever. :huh:

As chard has said the feel of the gun is different.

I know due to manufacturing process (cold hammer forged) the barrels have different weights and wood is a natural product so the density is different between guns. These different weights can affect the balance of the gun so unless you pay a lot of money for a matched pair there will be differences in how the guns feels when shooting it.

How this difference affects your shooting is subjective to the individual shooter, some deal with it, some don’t.

I shot my mates DT10 and it was miles different to mine in balance, I still hit the same clays with it, but I wasn’t used to it and this difference could have cost me clays on the more instinctive type shots. Your muscle memory knows how much force to apply to get the desired swing speed, if the balance is all different to what you are used to you could be too aggressive or not enough causing you to miss on these instinctive targets.

For me it’s never going to cost me a lot of clays but I do think it would cost me the odd one over 100 sporting clays until I got used to that particular gun.

:good:

Edited by timps

No matter how finer tolorances in theory they cannot be identical. For all intensive purposes lets say they are "identical". You shoot one gun at a left to right crosser. You then pick up the other gun, by this time you have had practice at one target and obv fired one shot. You fire the second gun and miss. The target was in a slightly different position, the wind got up, your feet werent in the same place so wasnt balanced aswel, you caught the stock on your coat, you closed one eye. Its easy to see why people think different guns shoot differently in comparison tests. I think most of it tho is down to the shooter. If you shot one gun, then shot it again without being told its the same gun im sure you could come up with "differences" even tho its the same gun!