Disco airbag problems

Tiger955i

HI All

I am looking for some help please.

Here are the symptoms:- My mates Disco 2. When the car is parked the airbags deflate within half an hour. Start the engine and they inflate within five minutes. Ok we thought, the compressor works just to check the pipes and bags to find the leak and replace as required. Recently, for an experiment, he parked the landy but before he shut the engine off he pressed the button which elevates the rear of the car for offroad driving. Once elevated he switched off the enginge and the vehicle sat for over a week and the bags did not deflate??

Are the air bags and whatever elevates the car for off road two seperate systems or both operated by the air bags? If both systems are operated by the air bags why does it deflate on normal road setting but not on the off road setting?

I hope I have explained this well enough to at lease get some pointers as to what the problem may be.

ATB

Bag life on those bags is about 70,000 miles. Your initial symptoms sound like bag semi- failure but staying up when elevated would be unusual. Compressor should take way less than 5 mins to blow them up. Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere, suggest a trip to your local Landrover independent repairer.

People will suggest that you fit the shock abs conversion when the bags fail, if you tow a lot dont. My current rear bags have done about 100,000, I am expecting the same slow sink when parked any time.

A

A

sad to say but get used to it lr air suspension is very poor even the latest l332 shape range rovers suffer ,although when working they are good but is a pain sometimes ,the cheap reset cds on ebay etc are worth buying if you intend to keep a air bagged lr ,not the best but do the job

sounds like a slight leak but there is more to the air suspension then just air bags theres so many trouble areas

Had this on my Disco when I got it about 5 years ago. Airbags stayed inflated overnight and in normal driving, as soon as you hit a bump they deflated.

Turned out both the air bags were porous through age, it was a V reg (1999).

Try covering them with soapy water and bouncing on the rear bumper.

Had them both replaced and not had a problem with the airbags since. Just everything else, it is a Landrover after all.

do you expect old tyres to keep air in?

just think of the airsprings as consumables, they can be bought for about half the price of a tyre,

the reason they stay up on full lift is the pinhole will be only open at one point, usually at the standard height.