Sir Richard Branson urges change to drugs law

gazzthompson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my school year I know 4 people who have died

One started smoking canabis, didn't have a particuarly happy home life, got into heroin and one day OD and died.

The other 3 died from alcohol

I guess these simple stats show which is the biggest killer (not counting those slowly dieing of smoking).

When I started working one of the partners in the firm had it all, young family, 2 kids, new Jag, partner in a buiness, nice house. Slowly over the 5 years I knew him he started drinking first of all 3 pints of stella at lunch, then couple of bottles of wine then he'd disappear at 11am when the pubs opened, then he started smelling of alochol when he came in, in the morning. His wife then moved out with the kids, he started drinking more, he crashed and wrote off his Jag, he ended up in hospital, he moved in with his mum and then he died. I remember one day in the pub at lunch time he was having an orange juice and him telling me that the Dr's had told him if he didn't stop drinking he'd be dead, he tried but unfortunately fell off the wagon again. RIP Jeff.

He had an addiction and needed help but didn't get it, now if this was instead drugs some people on here would say he needed locking up and not help. Why the difference?

This friend im talking about actually was treated as a mental health type problem rather than criminal, he at some point was sent somewhere where them give him drugs while he "gets better" but hes that mental he couldnt be controlled and got kicked out. Ill say this as well, it was the cannabis that started it all off and ive seen other people like that as well. Cannabis isnt "safe"

Nope but smoking canabis doesn't make you do heroin.

I think it's a lot down to the individual and if they have underlying mental health issues smoking canabis will probably acerbate the problem.

It's alot down to the circles you mix with to get the canabis and the people who are smoking it, you'll always get some who want to try more and more but you'll also get plenty for whom it's a passing fad and then they give it up.

I know plenty of lawyers, teachers, accountants, engineers who i went to Uni with who all experimented with bits and pieces (as kids do) and then stopped and went on to have successful careers and happy families.

Be it drugs or drink its an addiction and people with an addiction dont think and reason right, thats why someone should step in and stop them, not let it continue untill its too late.

But what is the help you want to give them? Lock them up? or decriminalise it, stop wasting billions trying to police it and pump all of that money into helping the addicts?

Most people who do drugs would do whether they were legal or not, the same as most people who don't do drugs wouldn't do if it were decrimalised. I'm not saying had it out at schools but stop trying to lock up those who do use it, get them help instead.

From my school year I know 4 people who have died

One started smoking canabis, didn't have a particuarly happy home life, got into heroin and one day OD and died.

The other 3 died from alcohol

I guess these simple stats show which is the biggest killer (not counting those slowly dieing of smoking).

When I started working one of the partners in the firm had it all, young family, 2 kids, new Jag, partner in a buiness, nice house. Slowly over the 5 years I knew him he started drinking first of all 3 pints of stella at lunch, then couple of bottles of wine then he'd disappear at 11am when the pubs opened, then he started smelling of alochol when he came in, in the morning. His wife then moved out with the kids, he started drinking more, he crashed and wrote off his Jag, he ended up in hospital, he moved in with his mum and then he died. I remember one day in the pub at lunch time he was having an orange juice and him telling me that the Dr's had told him if he didn't stop drinking he'd be dead, he tried but unfortunately fell off the wagon again. RIP Jeff.

He had an addiction and needed help but didn't get it, now if this was instead drugs some people on here would say he needed locking up and not help. Why the difference?

I too have known several good friends, family members and colleagues who have died from alcoholism and like you have seen it from a professional point of view. Alcoholism is a terrible waste of life and I agree with you that it is not given the level of priority it deserves.

However, the friends, family, colleagues I have seen decline and die didn't cause the social problems that I see drug takers cause. They don't leave dirty needles and blood-soiled tissues in parks and other communal areas. They don't steal to fund their habits. They don't approach people begging for money. They don't congregate and cause no-go areas for decent people. Aloholism is often by nature a solitary and secretive addiction.

Legalising drugs will not reduce the social impact of drug taking in my opinion.

Just a point on the cannabis thing, a lot of people of my generation errhem :whistling: had the odd joint with apparently no ill effects, from what little reading I have done on the subject it appears that the stuff we had 30 odd years ago pales into insignificance with the strength of today's cannabis, which is why it is so much more dangerous.

Leaglise it, take away the fascination, drop the price to pocket money levels and stop the crime to get the funding and get some revenue from it. Its not ideal, but prohibition doesn't work, despite protestations to the opposite. Sure we could slow it down a bit if we lived in a police state and spent the entire gdp on it, but its not going to happen.

I'm sure that most of the people on this forum ( at least those under 40) have been exposed to canabis at some time or another (for me it was amsterdam when i was 16) and personally it did nothing for me- so i spent my student year smoking cuban cigars while the pot heads got their junk out. Ironically my cigar was cheaper than their pot then, but if you believe reports now my cuban cigar is considerably more expensive than their pot.

I'm not sure if habitual pot use causes mental problems or if they only get something out of it because because they are slightly unhinged! either which way every habitual pot smoker i have ever met has not been 100% mentally. To put it in terms we can all relate to would i think any of the habitual pot smokers i have met were suitable to hold a SGC or FAC . . . . NO!

:rolleyes:

Whilst criminalising the user is very 1984 it just Doesn't work, they have massive penalties for possession in the states, the far east, China etc and it just doesn't work.

What has gone before isn't working and hasn't worked anywhere.

[/ quote]

It works in singapore if you are caught with over a certain amount they are hanged, none of them have reoffended.So in my view anybody caught in possession of any illegal drugs jail time and so many strokes with a water soaked cane and a large fine, which you pay on release from prison, if you don't pay your fine by a certain date back to prison to do the same sentence and more strokes of the cane.When you get out of prison you still have to pay the fine or the cycle continues till you do.Mandatory death sentence with anybody caught with large ammounts or convicted of importing or dealing.Ibet we wouldn't have a drug problem for long.If we used the cane and fine system for all crime that would be solved too

Geordie

It works in singapore if you are caught with over a certain amount they are hanged, none of them have reoffended.So in my view anybody caught in possession of any illegal drugs jail time and so many strokes with a water soaked cane and a large fine, which you pay on release from prison, if you don't pay your fine by a certain date back to prison to do the same sentence and more strokes of the cane.When you get out of prison you still have to pay the fine or the cycle continues till you do.Mandatory death sentence with anybody caught with large ammounts or convicted of importing or dealing.Ibet we wouldn't have a drug problem for long.If we used the cane and fine system for all crime that would be solved too

Geordie

Really?? If it works so well why do they have to keep doing it??

Geordie

As ever, the discussion moves eventually to the ridiculous. There is plenty of drug use in singapore, particularly among young people. They know the risks but this does nothing to change behaviour. Countless studies have shown that severe punishment does very little discourage use.

This is before we move to the immorality of corporal and capital punishment...

As ever, the discussion moves eventually to the ridiculous. There is plenty of drug use in singapore, particularly among young people. They know the risks but this does nothing to change behaviour. Countless studies have shown that severe punishment does very little discourage use.

This is before we move to the immorality of corporal and capital punishment...

Quite, even coming from Wiltshire I'd have thought you could have worked that out.......just burn 'em like you do witches.

Yeah, sorry I forgot it was only invented 20 years ago

Perhaps i should have quantified that my statement of "I'm sure that most of the people on this forum ( at least those under 40) have been exposed to canabis".

yes all you former wild eyed hippies would like to rose tintedly tell us about the pot that you smolked in the 60's. but I am sure that my generation (leaving school early 90's) had far more exposure to pot than my parents. Even in the private school i went to we were all exposed to pot by 16 and classmates where Alegedly :yp: buying it from a kids of 14 from the comp at the othere end of the borough. As prices have fallen Due to market saturation( by all accounts the tobacco to mix it with now costs more than the junk !) I can't belive that the situation is not far worse today.

Quite, even coming from Wiltshire I'd have thought you could have worked that out.......just burn 'em like you do witches.

Yes they do but i have been sent down here as a missionary to try and save and educate them,unsuccessfully so far but i have only lived in Wiltshire for 25 yrs.By the way Singapore is one of the safest cities in the world so it must be doing some good

Geordie