Kent SGC Renewal

DJL4

Just a head's up for those in Kent regarding time taken for SGC applications/renewalls -

My own certificate expired on 1st Oct 2011.

Having held a certificate for many years and with no changes to circumstancies etc I sent the renewal form off the 1st Sept expecting the renewal to arrive as promptly as in previous years.

Come November 2011 with still no renewal I phone Kent Firearms dept and was told there was a "backlog" and "cutbacks".

In December I got a call from the local FEO bassically asking me to confirm date of birth and any security arrangements regarding house and the gun cabinet ie type of house windows, doors, burglar alarm etc.

With still no renewal I phoned the FEO again today (26th Jan 2012) who did a bit of checking and told me it had been cleared for posting.

2hrs later it finally dropped on the mat.

Hence from the time I initially sent in the application to it arriving has been 5 months ..... Those waiting, dont hold your breath!

Just a head's up for those in Kent regarding time taken for SGC applications/renewalls -

Having held a certificate for many years and with no changes to circumstancies etc I sent the renewal form off the 1st Sept expecting the renewal to arrive as promptly as in previous years.

Come November 2011 with still no renewal I phone Kent Firearms dept and was told there was a "backlog" and "cutbacks".

In December I got a call from the local FEO bassically asking me to confirm date of birth and any security arrangements regarding house and the gun cabinet ie type of house windows, doors, burglar alarm etc.

With still no renewal I phoned the FEO again today (26th Jan 2012) who did a bit of checking and told me it had been cleared for posting.

Hence from the time I initially sent in the application to it arriving has been 5 months ..... Those waiting, dont hold your breath!

Luckily mine isn`t due until sept 2013 and apr 2014, however saying that i supose i should put them in next week :no:. it really is disgusting and the worst thing is there is nothing we can do about it to change it, they just carry on getting away with it.

Hope this isn't the case for all applications, I put mine in late October had my visit on the 9th November, So been 2 and half months already, I can't be waiting another 2 months or more, its a total joke. We're paying for a service which isnt delivering the goods in any good time, but are quick as anything to take the money from your account. As you say there's no way of speeding it up or an alternative. What do we actually pay for??

I rang my FEO last week who is based in Maidstone regarding a variation and he told me that currently there is a 4 month back log. :no:

4 MONTHS!! that is downright disgusting, so if you put in for a variation you have to make sure you have enough ammo for at least 6 months. i`m still waiting for my FEO to call me back after 3 messages left last week. they are a disgrace.

its bad in kent i applied for my 1st sgl mid dec not even a phone call about a visit yet having said that the fao is a really nice guy but im not holding my breath he thinks it will be months even after the visit if i get 1 lol was you fao called richard if so hes a really nice guy

Edited by storme37

its bad in kent i applied for my 1st sgl mid dec not even a phone call about a visit yet having said that the fao is a really nice guy but im not holding my breath he thinks it will be months even after the visit if i get 1 lol

it`s a shame there is no complaints process, i reckon Kent has to be one of the worst if not the worst. Nigel is mine but it appears he doesn`t know how to return calls, downright rude. i used to have Mick & Ralph and the were flippin fantastic.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

i think the government is to blame not the fire arms team im sure they are as ****** of as we are

i must admit i almost feel like giving up its going to be forever before i can buy my gun

I dont think you can blame the govnment for how the police conduct their cutbacks. Its the police that are to blame maybe not the firearms teams but the Police Brass that seat in their large offices and do nothing, while the others work under staffed and we get a rubbish service.

i see your point about management but if the police budget was not cut so badly they would not have these problems and the cuts are due to governments (doesn't seem to matter which party) mishandling of the country's finances with the help of the bankers of course.

i doubt the police are happy about the fact that they have to cut back their services. of course everyone's miserable because they have to wait so long its just the way it is hopefully times will get better fingers crossed. :)

My FEO returned my call today, 2 weeks later. apparently he has been away for 2 weeks on holiday but didn`t change his voicemail message to reflect this or divert to another FEO, bad form i think but that`s another matter, i was asking about a variation and what sort of delay i should expect as i`ll need to possibly purchase extra ammo and after an embarrassed laugh he said they were being advised by Maidstone to quote 8 - 12 weeks for variations. :no: Shameful.

I posted mine off end of August and got it on the matt mid December in all it took 16 weeks and countless phone calls ( think that they got fed up with me in the end lol)

My wife applied for hers first week of jan and still no call. So she gave them a call last Monday and as above 4 month waiting time as they are still working on septembers one. Not good as it didn't take them long to take the £50 :angry:

Hope this isn't the case for all applications, I put mine in late October had my visit on the 9th November, So been 2 and half months already, I can't be waiting another 2 months or more, its a total joke. We're paying for a service which isnt delivering the goods in any good time, but are quick as anything to take the money from your account. As you say there's no way of speeding it up or an alternative. What do we actually pay for??

Don't hold your breath mine was processed from the first of September and took 16 weeks. The little hair I did have has now gone lol. But when it comes you do forget about the wait I promis !

I`m surprised at that length of time, mine is due for renewal in April, got the renewal forms sent to me middle of Jan, just sent them off so hopefully there should be no delay, wakefield are not too bad on that score

it`s a shame there is no complaints process, i reckon Kent has to be one of the worst if not the worst. Nigel is mine but it appears he doesn`t know how to return calls, downright rude. i used to have Mick & Ralph and the were flippin fantastic.

Always found Nigel garland to be excellent at returning calls and getting problems dealt with. Nigels area has now changed and my new feo is Richard , just put in for my sgc renewal and he told me to expect 4 months so to stock up on ammo . still new man seemed ok too

Edited by daz2202