Discovery buying advice

Daveo26

hahaha backup has arrived :sly:

Back up was never far away ... Lol

If you buy a pig then you didn't buy wisely . All motors have potential to have a hard or tough life

People will buy landrovers because they know they will stand up to lots of abuse . Admittedly it will take its toll over time . But that's the one not to buy so move on to another . They aren't like some motors that are made of cheese and fall apart

Stop wasting your time with those rot boxes and buy a decent Japanese motor :lol:

Only joking if i had 5k i would be looking for a disco 2 TD5 but buy as new as possible, supposedly they are good for 250,000 miles. I am yet to see it myself though. There will be plenty which have been used for the school run and never seen off road.

Edited by ferguson_tom

+1 for a 300 tdi,got a defender 90 130000 miles on the clock starts first turn every time dont need to wait for heaters to go out burns no oil cheap to repair if you have to and no electronics on the early 300s,not on a defender anyway,returns 23-25 mpg short journeys 28-30 on a run if you dont thrash it,geared different to a discovery so they should do a bit more to the gallon,these are genuine figures as i keep all my receipts for diesel and always fill it to the brim would definatley have another but i wouldn't have a TD5 ,as a 2nd motor for me it would not be economical as they are to dear to repair if you need to

If you want a low maint vehicle do not buy a Disco 200 or 300 cannot comment about later models. I had a 200tdi from 11,000 miles I sold it for parts at 241,500 miles as the rust bug had done it in and that was after rustproofing at 15,000. Was it brilliant? YES it was loads of fun on and off road but it wasnt cheap to run, two gearboxes one at 90,000 the next at 99,000(replaced by LR under warranty).

As usual with the 200tdi head gasket went at 150,000. A new load area floor as the old one got moth eaten services every 6 and 12 thousand but beyond that it was what I call consumables,brake discs tyres two exhausts (I should have bought the stainless one)suspension bushes stuff like that cam belts. If you can find a good one and are handy at servicing then do it but it wont be cheap but theres loads of juicy bits for them out there. I didnt own a 300tdi but my mate did and had much the same costs he ran his for 150 odd thousand.

Did I buy another? no to complicated in 2006 and no longer went off road enough to warrant the cost.

I now have a Honda CRV which does all I want as I NO LONGER OFF ROAD (caps to make it clear) and is suprisingly good in the snow and gives a bit of height for better vision when driving. But its not fun like the 200tdi

Good Luck

Neil