Snowsocks

mark evans

Dont work for them, but bought them back in october and left them in the boot of the car. Well had to use them today, about 2 to 3 inches in the Rhondda Valleys, near Cardiff. They do work..................

Best £55 ive ever spend on a car !!

Edited by mark evans

interested in these,could be handy now i sold the 4x4,whats the score with them ? what if it snow on ground ,bit slippy,so put socks on,then 3 miles down road,snow not as bad or gone? do you need to take them off straight away? will they get damaged or torn on tarmac? any good on mud?

They will get destroyed if driven on clear roads, they should be taken off when not on snow. They're a great idea, because they are so quick and easy to stick on taking them off when you come to a clear patch isn't that bad. Obviously go slowly with them if on fairly clear stuff or going a very short distance on cleared stuff.

I don't know what they're like on mud.

interested in these,could be handy now i sold the 4x4,whats the score with them ? what if it snow on ground ,bit slippy,so put socks on,then 3 miles down road,snow not as bad or gone? do you need to take them off straight away? will they get damaged or torn on tarmac? any good on mud?

UNless snow/ice under wheels take them off and drive with them on slowly like 10mph or they will be ruined in minutes! NOt had to use mine yet but are in the boot incase i do.

Dave have you got the manual or auto box? Mate has an auto and still struggles even in snow setting (but he did come from a Grand Cherokee)

If you only put them on the drive wheels, i.e. the back ones you won't be able to steer properly, if you onyl put them on the front wheels you'll have the sharpest turning car on the street but it won't be moving anywhere! :lol:

I can see how the 4 would be beneficial but you really only use these to get out of a bind - I would just put the 2 on the drive wheels as usually you can drop the speed enough so the steering wheels can get grip.

Regards,

Gixer

Regarding the above comments, I drive a RWD car and have snow tyres on the back due to having to go on un-cleared 20% hills every day during the snow. Not having them on the front does make steering and stopping harder, but all it really means is that you have to drive at sensible snow speeds!

You have traction to get out where you need to be slowly, it's not dangerous. However it's not good on automatic cars (which I have, not good in snow) as they are pushing all the time and that really does make it hard to turn at times, but it's still better to have socks or snow tyres on the back than nothing at all.

It's not an issue in a manual car.