Best way of catching Fox!

m3vert

My friend is having problems on her small holding, a fox has killed around 8-10 of hers and her neighbours hens/chooks. I have gone and had a look and its a fair size piece of land which is mainly pine/spruce trees that surround her area where the hens are kept (securely behind herras fencing). I have not found any runs that I can identify as being used by a fox although loads of deer tracks.

I was going to put out some roadkill for baiting it and checking it regularly to see when it is coming. They have spotted it on a few occasions around 0630hr and 1500hrs.

The question is would I be better snaring an area near to where the hens are kept as it will be checked every morning 1st thing by her and if I get any success she can call me for quick despatch.

Open to any suggestions :) The good thing is that through this I have just been given permission to shoot hers and her neighbours land (which includes a nice wee pond). Loads of deer about but she was insistent they are to be left alone and a fair amoung of woodies were spotted today so I am well happy at the moment :) Just need to cath charlie to keep them happy now :)

I am assuming you shoot a rifle as you mentioned you have been asked to leave the Deer alone. If you are baiting up with road kill or whatever you choose, can i suggest you get yourself a cheap alarm clock not digital,around £1, tie a line (braid if you use it for fishing)or string around the battery the other end to the bait,as Fox'y takes the bait it stops the clock :good: do this a number of time and you will get a good idea of the time Mr Fox is around and of course the location.

Then get yourself in position about 1/2 an hour before and get "him or her" to catch your bullet :good: saves allot of waisted time hanging around specially this weather :good:

I am assuming you shoot a rifle as you mentioned you have been asked to leave the Deer alone. If you are baiting up with road kill or whatever you choose, can i suggest you get yourself a cheap alarm clock not digital,around £1, tie a line (braid if you use it for fishing)or string around the battery the other end to the bait,as Fox'y takes the bait it stops the clock :good: do this a number of time and you will get a good idea of the time Mr Fox is around and of course the location.

Then get yourself in position about 1/2 an hour before and get "him or her" to catch your bullet :good: saves allot of waisted time hanging around specially this weather :good:

Never heard of that before but hat`s off to who thought of it.

Brilliant idea. :yes::good:

Leave a dead bird out, pull it about a bit to loosen it up and see where the feathers go. That's one way to see where it's coming in to the land and worked for us. Once runs have been identified snare them up. Now that's snowing a bit you might be able to get up when there's been a fresh fall and see if you can identify runs that way. We found loads over the weekend and marked them up with canes for future snaring.

Just a quick thought: does the ticking of the clock not put the fox off?

does the "ping"on the microwave put you off your dinner???

No? ?? just like mr fox then.

tic toc tic toc tic toc

dinner time lol

Edited by Dougy

Thanks guys, I dont think the snow is far away so I will use the cane idea to mark his runs at that point. I will be on the look out for a cheap clock now as well :) If I have no joy with the above and the snares then yeah a fox trap is a small price for getting to shoot this permission. I think it has good promise, especially if I can get ducks onto the pond :)

Thanks again guys and keep the ideas coming :)

does the "ping"on the microwave put you off your dinner???

No? ?? just like mr fox then.

tic toc tic toc tic toc

dinner time lol

Best I find one that doesn't have luminous hands too, or put it face down. :blush::lol:

So: thread on the battery. Does the fox get a free Duracell, or is there a cunning way to set it up so that the battery just gets ejected?

:lol: :lol: Thats priceless mate,I had'nt heard of that one before :sly: I'll have a go at that for sure.. :good:

Another addition to the tip.

I used to put mine in a small tupaware type container with a hole in the bottom for a decent length peg for an anchor,this secured the clock aswell and another small hole for the line to go out of the side which would be attatched to the battery. All kept nice and water proof :good: