shep whites

UK fowler

Thanks for the reply and the pic , I"ll dig my pics out and post when worked out how to do it , found some ref to proposed work at Shep Whites Barge Road , outlining making car park /visitors viewing platform etc by the council , has this been done and is this the same area as we described above or further north ?

Julian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You described Shep Whites. Shep Whites is at the end of Barge Road.

As for the council doing all that work, its possibly still on the agenda as they work fast around here :lol: :lol:

Its called 'Shep Whites' after a farmer who had a house built behind the sea wall. He was a sheep farmer called White. Hence Shep Whites. Obviously that house no longer exists.

Edited by ayano3

Yes was aware of the origin of Shep Whites , my brother says he remembers a fatality where some campers were overcome by fumes whilst sleeping in the pill box many years ago , we used to stop at Bull Hotel , Long Sutton ( Mrs Glendenning Mitchell ) , last time i drove past it was all boarded up with weeds coming out of it about 10 yrs ago or so .

Julian

Yes was aware of the origin of Shep Whites , my brother says he remembers a fatality where some campers were overcome by fumes whilst sleeping in the pill box many years ago , we used to stop at Bull Hotel , Long Sutton ( Mrs Glendenning Mitchell ) , last time i drove past it was all boarded up with weeds coming out of it about 10 yrs ago or so .

Julian

Mrs Mitchell and her dog (can't remember its name - Mr something or other?) and her fabulous room/bar maids - memories... (60/70's)

The lads sleeping in the pillbox were 'fowlers.

One didn't feel well, flue or something, so he stayed in bed whilst the others went out for morning flight. When they came back they found him dead - asphyxiation with the fumes from some sort of heater I believe. Very sad.

I wonder what ever happened to the Bull Game Book - That would be worth reading just for the names in it - James Robertson-Justice etc.

A fantastic time of my life and high on the list of best memories... :yes:

Mrs Mitchell and her dog (can't remember its name - Mr something or other?) and her fabulous room/bar maids - memories... (60/70's)

The lads sleeping in the pillbox were 'fowlers.

One didn't feel well, flue or something, so he stayed in bed whilst the others went out for morning flight. When they came back they found him dead - asphyxiation with the fumes from some sort of heater I believe. Very sad.

I wonder what ever happened to the Bull Game Book - That would be worth reading just for the names in it - James Robertson-Justice etc.

A fantastic time of my life and high on the list of best memories... :yes:

Brings back memories we used to sit in the pub after serving ourselves sometimes and go through the book , we have a few entries in from the 60/70"s , think last time we went/stopped was about 1980 or just after .

The breakfasts were fantastic and we made a few local friends who used to join us for drinks each year .

She was a character , I believe her husband was a colonel in India or something like that , do you still shoot the area ?

Pic of kenzies boat from early 70"s and me along the sea wall , brother is convinced this wasn"t at Shep Whites but Gedney Drove End of marsh before boat was moved anyone confirm ?

post-56619-0-43255200-1331904072.jpeg

post-56619-0-84148800-1331904085.jpeg

Julian

Edited by Zulu

Julian

If the Bull is the one in the middle of Long Sutton on a corner, then its still boarded up but they've painted scenes of people dining on the boards :lol:

I cant make out where you are stood on the sea wall, but places change, it dont look like Sheps. I am not old enough to know if Kenzies boat was ever on Drove End or Dawsmere but I will ask some of our more senior club members.

Appreciate that.

Julian

• 1 year later...

Seeing as oxford has gone north I was thinking of going down Andersons next week one afternoon just to break myself in, what do you recon Mat?

I can think of worse places to be! I will be making a trip or two somewhere this weekend. Might be getting the last week of the season off to get a few flights in!

I am hoping to get sometime this weekend as the tides are favourable. I may have the last week off, or at least some of it. You be careful down there Harry..unless you are taking Dale or Steve with you to Sherpa all you gear.

Tide for the last few days of the season look good. Got a few places left to vist before end of the season, will give you a ring!

I am hoping to get sometime this weekend as the tides are favourable. I may have the last week off, or at least some of it. You be careful down there Harry..unless you are taking Dale or Steve with you to Sherpa all you gear.

Hi Graham, Steve's only been down on the weekend we took the caravan down....think he's lost a bit of interest but he does do a lot of shooting up here...I keep asking him if he's coming with me but he's always doing something else....I'm off next week so will have a last fling before end of season...midweek, probably give Big mat a ring as I think he's off work.

best wishes...Dale.