Training drills with hide

Donnie

Ive got some pigeon shooting coming up and im going to take my young dog. By no means am i going to have him sat with me all day but i want to try him for 30min or so. As im new to pigeon shooting im borrowing a friends hide and want to try some drills with the dog in it before we go. Ive been putting out dummies and telling him to leave certain ones (simulate.decoys) and hes done great. Any other ideas on some drills to try before we.go?

I always think it is as important to teach a youngster to leave something as much as it is to get something. Spent a hour in the rain this morning with mine chucking dummy's and stuff around him and laying them out and walking crisscross

around them before finally letting him pick the last one. I think it makes them steady

The dog is 15 months old, i recently put 4 different dummies out and put 1 on my game bag. I walked the dog past the one on the bag and told him to leave it. We walked and sat with our backs to a hedge row and i sent him for each of the others. It was a cracking feeling when he ran straight past the one on the bag each time we did the drill and every time out to each dummy. Im thinking of doing the same but with the hide and then later in the week moving to someone else throwing dummies from behind the hedge row/ hide. Does anyone have any other ideas or drills i can do?

I used to set mine up in the garden then encourage him to

Go in and out of the door (stop him taking the hide down) and chuck dummies out of the hide to encourage him to stay put then walk him out of the door and let him retrieve them. Changing it a bit every time. I also used to get him to lay down and sleep to get used to being in there for ages..... Sad really but never had any issues with him running through the hide, yelping or just generally being a pain so something worked ???

Not acostoming a dog to the netting can lead to it trying to charge through it when sent or messing with it, dont take long but its better done without shooting.

Previously struggled getting a new dog out time and again to the same spot as most training is one here one there, so i have done a fair bit of work on that with one dog i owned. Even though he must have practically run over the other dead birds- they get it in the end though.

Sitting round waiting while you hold a gun- to a dog that understands "the puropse of a gun" can be challedging. I sit out back on a bench with the dog at my feet, it stops them being so edgey first time out and is easy to do for a few 1 hour or so sessions in summer before the fowling starts up

the gun may sound pretty loud from close to or in the hide. so for the first few times make sure he is rewarded with something fun to associate it with.

sitting about with nothing to do but listen to the gun for an inexperienced/young dog can put it off guns/hides for ever.

a run around, a bit of dinner and a snooze together in the hide will make it a pleasant experience ( you don't need to snooze just have something to read ) :lol:

jan