Level 2 DMQ whos got it

Ackley

and do you still do things to the book ??

Just thought this may be a good subject to debate.

I have had it since 2007 I dont feel its made me a better stalker/hunter.My opinion is you can learn something every day or from others you go out with,the test is just like your driving test,once you have passed it dont stick to the highway code.

There is a thread on here about taking the test in a day or over a weekend,some say its wrong "why" a pass is a pass no mater how long it takes to do

please if replying keep things cival and constructive

thank you

Edited by Ackley

and do you still do things to the book ??

Just thought this may be a good subject to debate.

I have had it since 2007 I dont feel its made me a better stalker/hunter.My opinion is you can learn something every day or from others you go out with,the test is just like your driving test,once you have passed it dont stick to the highway code.

There is a thread on here about taking the test in a day or over a weekend,some say its wrong "why" a pass is a pass no mater how long it takes to do

please if replying keep things cival and constructive

thank you

Yes i have, yes i do, no it wont it only proves you can put into practise the theory of level 1. I do stick to the highway code? Yes unless i make a mistake- we can all do that, its the same with stalking

The DSC 1 is the theory part. The DSC 2 is putting that into practice.

What I find more worrying, what corners do people think its ok to cut? If you are harvesting food and passing that into the human food chain it needs to be done properly and with all the hygiene practices adhered to. Washing hands is for girls is it? What can you just ignore?

I've never bothered with any sort of test. Personally I feel that a lot can be learned and forgotten in a job like Deer management and getting out and doing it is what matters. I can do what I do without that sort of paperwork so what's the point? Maybe for people who have no access to more experienced shots and their own ground it's useful but for me, not so much.

As long as you know the basics starting at quarry ID, shot placement and safety, following up an injured animal and then the gralloch - what else is essential? You can get by with that info and anything more is simply a bonus.

I read here some time ago that to pass the DSC2 you need to be able to stalk in on your quarry? If so, why? You can sit in a highseat and get the job done so why all the willy waving about "stalking"? It doesn't matter one bit IMO.

Last of all I feel that plenty of time spent with a good mentor is worth a dozen DSC's. I take every chance I get to stalk with experienced shots because there's always something to learn from them. :good:

I've never bothered with any sort of test. Personally I feel that a lot can be learned and forgotten in a job like Deer management and getting out and doing it is what matters. I can do what I do without that sort of paperwork so what's the point? Maybe for people who have no access to more experienced shots and their own ground it's useful but for me, not so much.

As long as you know the basics starting at quarry ID, shot placement and safety, following up an injured animal and then the gralloch - what else is essential? You can get by with that info and anything more is simply a bonus.

I read here some time ago that to pass the DSC2 you need to be able to stalk in on your quarry? If so, why? You can sit in a highseat and get the job done so why all the willy waving about "stalking"? It doesn't matter one bit IMO.

Last of all I feel that plenty of time spent with a good mentor is worth a dozen DSC's. I take every chance I get to stalk with experienced shots because there's always something to learn from them. :good:

All very true but only DSC 2 gets FC leases!

There are plenty of people who have shot a lot of deer but have no idea about meat inspection and food hygiene. Personally I don't give a damn if you can creep quietly through the woods, I do care if you pass a diseased carcase into the food chain that ends up on my plate!

The DSC 1 is the theory part. The DSC 2 is putting that into practice.

What I find more worrying, what corners do people think its ok to cut? If you are harvesting food and passing that into the human food chain it needs to be done properly and with all the hygiene practices adhered to. Washing hands is for girls is it? What can you just ignore?

OK your on the hill 5 miles out,you shoot a 15 stone stag,you get your hand washing kit out,put your gloves and arm protection sleeves on,you set about the carcass with your clean knife,once its done and the guts are out,remove your gloves and sleeves,wipe you knife and hand with wipes,put it all away in your back pack

then what happens ??

you have to drag the damm thing up and down through sheep ****,bogs,heather and all manner of contamination.

yep level 2 we all do it by the book :lol:

If you can't recover it in a clean manor then don't shoot it. Most estates have quads/argos even go old fashioned and use a horse.

total bull mate obviously you have had it easy.what do you thionk people did before argos and quads,and dont say pony,as there a rare comodity.

Edited by Ackley

total bull mate obviously you have had it easy.what do you thionk people did before argos and quads,and dont say pony,as there a rare comodity.

I used a bog standard sheet of canvas. Rolled the carcass onto the sheet and using the rope on the end of the canvas dragged it to a suitable place to be collected by vehicle later. It kept the carcas clean and helped it slide over the ground easier, unless it was a Roe or other of the small species then of course it went in my Roe sack.

I used a bog standard sheet of canvas. Rolled the carcass onto the sheet and using the rope on the end of the canvas dragged it to a suitable place to be collected by vehicle later. It kept the carcas clean and helped it slide over the ground easier, unless it was a Roe or other of the small species then of course it went in my Roe sack.

And therefore avoided contamination of the carcase. Not exactly hard.

what if you have 2 down :rolleyes: no matter wht you say you wrap it in,its still being dragged over ground so will still get contaminated,unless you seal your sheet up and then the carcass will sweat which as you know is much worse than a bit of dirt on it

but anyway we do what we do

what if you have 2 down :rolleyes: no matter wht you say you wrap it in,its still being dragged over ground so will still get contaminated,unless you seal your sheet up and then the carcass will sweat which as you know is much worse than a bit of dirt on it

but anyway we do what we do

my thorts exactly, meat will spoil quickly if its got an hours drag back home in a sealed up sheet.

my thorts exactly, meat will spoil quickly if its got an hours drag back home in a sealed up sheet.

all this meat hygiene has got far too anal,as long as it aint contaminated with green and its been bled there isnt a problem,at the end of the day the meat will be cleaned when processed,I was out with a butcher the other day and he said meat is best left untill black and sticky before cooking,and you imagine that wrapped in cling film in Tescos

.............. cowpoo......................

To what? in relation to what? Driving or stalking? As regards the former i have been driving for 26 yrs covered an average in access of 30k a year from cars to lorries have had two accidents and three speeding fines (not easy to avoid when you doing that milage in unfamiluar circumstances) these are mistakes! To openly disregard the highway code and think your fully experianced and no better is just dumb and also against the law!

I certainly have such a large ammount of extra experiance over you in stalking that it aint even worth going further on that one. Guess what i make mistakes thier also :yes: - again i do not disregard what i have learnt and take my responsibilities seriously.

OK your on the hill 5 miles out,you shoot a 15 stone stag,you get your hand washing kit out,put your gloves and arm protection sleeves on,you set about the carcass with your clean knife,once its done and the guts are out,remove your gloves and sleeves,wipe you knife and hand with wipes,put it all away in your back pack

then what happens ??

you have to drag the damm thing up and down through sheep ****,bogs,heather and all manner of contamination.

yep level 2 we all do it by the book :lol:

I'm on my last stalk for my DSC2, hopefully when I have the patience to drag my accessor out to scare all the deer away I will finish it. Firstly Ackley, if I didnt have any DMQ's I would not be able to shoot for Natural England, woodland trust etc and am doing my 2 because RSPB and Forestry Commission round my way won't entertain with out it. Regards less of all your so said experience and me with my lesser experience (matter of opinion) it we both wanted to cull for NE and you didnt have any DMQ's you would be turned away end of.

Ackley, your a meat eater right, would it bother you if the lads in the abatour were dragging your bacon in and out the staff toilet,flickin fag *** all over it and god knows what. If you eat your own game then fine but if its going back into the food chain you have a responsibility to field dress to minimise contamination. I grallocked and was a general pack horse long before I even got a rifle, and have and always will cable tie off rectal pipe (not sure of proper name) and wind pipe. The nature of heart/lung shot doesnt always allow for a clean grallock but we just have to be as good as we can if its going back into the foodchain. I shoot some very tough terrain and personally would not shoot anything I could not get out within a reasonable time, always grallock straight away. It I was in a handy position near a forest track that I could get my quad to I would drop two, I have only done this once, first pricket drop on the spot and a doe hung around just a little bit too long. I have witnessed a big stag being field butchered because there was absolutly no other way of hauling it off the hill but it was done expertly and clinically as would allow for conditions.

I'm on my last stalk for my DSC2, hopefully when I have the patience to drag my accessor out to scare all the deer away I will finish it. Firstly Ackley, if I didnt have any DMQ's I would not be able to shoot for Natural England, woodland trust etc and am doing my 2 because RSPB and Forestry Commission round my way won't entertain with out it. Regards less of all your so said experience and me with my lesser experience (matter of opinion) it we both wanted to cull for NE and you didnt have any DMQ's you would be turned away end of.

Ackley, your a meat eater right, would it bother you if the lads in the abatour were dragging your bacon in and out the staff toilet,flickin fag *** all over it and god knows what. If you eat your own game then fine but if its going back into the food chain you have a responsibility to field dress to minimise contamination. I grallocked and was a general pack horse long before I even got a rifle, and have and always will cable tie off rectal pipe (not sure of proper name) and wind pipe. The nature of heart/lung shot doesnt always allow for a clean grallock but we just have to be as good as we can if its going back into the foodchain. I shoot some very tough terrain and personally would not shoot anything I could not get out within a reasonable time, always grallock straight away. It I was in a handy position near a forest track that I could get my quad to I would drop two, I have only done this once, first pricket drop on the spot and a doe hung around just a little bit too long. I have witnessed a big stag being field butchered because there was absolutly no other way of hauling it off the hill but it was done expertly and clinically as would allow for conditions.

just because someone has level 1 and 2 dosent make them a better stalker,it just means they have passed a test,as to thje food chain,yes i love meat,how it arrives on my plate matters not to me as it would have been cooked,cooking basically kills all germs,you should nip over to Africa mate and see how the meat is handled overe there,still tastes great and iam still alive,you want to see butchering in the field mate,this is doing it BIG time

Picture126.jpg

dont tell me whats right and whats wrong people do what they need to do under the conditions there in,like no one will waste a gut shot beast,a good wash out and its fine,as I said far far to anal nowerdays.

but you do what you want

Ackley, its not just what I want its how it is, sometimes I think your just spoiling for a fight. :lol: Yes thats how they do it in Africa, I have travelled the world olde mate but not as a hunter, in most third world countries when you order chicken for your meal they go and kill one, is that because they don't have a fridge or they just don't want to get the fridge dirty.

Thats a bit of an 'old white hunter' attitude to 'thats how they do it in Africa'. They are poor,thirsty and starving usually indirectly from those that 'hunt' their big game. Millions of children die every year from disease in africa that has been eradicated in this country because of the regimes of health and hygiene.

Anyway, forgetting your old victorian attitudes and back to the original post, I believe in the DMQ system, it has opened many doors for me in respect to shooting deer. As more private land with decent Fallow and Roe populations is sold out to people with much more money than I have the organisation culling is the last route to enjoy deer stalking/hunting without travelling to the end of the country. Yesterday I gained another patch of private woodland that have a fallow problem, this came from the knowledge I cull for NE, so its all a knock on effect from DMQ's.

Ps obviously you like your steak well done, I for one don't.

Edited by Redgum

Ackley, its not just what I want its how it is, sometimes I think your just spoiling for a fight. :lol: Yes thats how they do it in Africa, I have travelled the world olde mate but not as a hunter, in most third world countries when you order chicken for your meal they go and kill one, is that because they don't have a fridge or they just don't want to get the fridge dirty.

Thats a bit of an 'old white hunter' attitude to 'thats how they do it in Africa'. They are poor,thirsty and starving usually indirectly from those that 'hunt' their big game. Millions of children die every year from disease in africa that has been eradicated in this country because of the regimes of health and hygiene.

Anyway, forgetting your old victorian attitudes and back to the original post, I believe in the DMQ system, it has opened many doors for me in respect to shooting deer. As more private land with decent Fallow and Roe populations is sold out to people with much more money than I have the organisation culling is the last route to enjoy deer stalking/hunting without travelling to the end of the country. Yesterday I gained another patch of private woodland that have a fallow problem, this came from the knowledge I cull for NE, so its all a knock on effect from DMQ's.

what Iam saying is once passed just like the driving test the rule book goes out of the window,I know no one who carries water and soap in a proper stalking enviroment apart from to drink,you might around the parks incase big brother is watching

I like my steak medium to rare :P

do you get paid for culling for NE or do you help out someone that does,as I know chap who gets paid

also why do you alwasy try to turn things into an argumnet ?? are you not able to have an adult debate,man I bet your a bundle of laugfhs down the pub :o

Edited by Ackley

If the chap who slaughtered and prep your steak didnt follow proper hydiene rules you could get crook from not incinerating yr steak,oh and cookin food doesnt alway guarantee its safe.

As for Natural England all I get is expenses but I get the deer (never bother claiming nowt, highseats on Deer initiative loan and its not far away,venison sale covers more than my costs)

How did you get involved with NE Red?