Lever action .44 magnum

RC45

As title. I am thinking of getting a lever action rifle in .44 calibre. What's the best option for new rifles. Reliability and build quality is what I am looking.

Thank you for your help... :)

Depends on your use and budget, Marlin are at the high end, angle eject so lets you fit a rail for a scope if you want to shoot gallery. Rossi are ok too, a little cheaper, upward eject so has to have a side mount to fit a scope.

Then there`s Henry or Winchester but not sure of their robustness.

If you want it for competition then opt for a Marlin.The mechanism is by far the best and can be tricked up.

However,i still think the Winchester is the prettiest.

ps.Dont dismiss the smaller 357mag though.Mines spot on accurate at 100mtrs and i can reload it for around £6 per 100.

Edited by Imperfection

Reliability and build quality, Henry, simple as :)

I have both a Marlin 1894 and a Henry Big Boy.

Build quality, I'd have to say the fit and finish of the Henry is as good as any very expensive rifle I've seen, you'd actually have to see one "in person" to see how good they are.

Operation wise it's like chalk and cheese, the Henry is smooth and gets even better with use, the Marlin feels like it was put together by a "sight impaired person" having a bad day with the wrong parts, it can be made a lot better by slicking the action, changing the trigger assembly to a decent make and replacing the firing pin and hammer spring etc., seems like a lot of not very cheap work to have to do to get it to the quality it should be out of the box.

You also need to add a scope rail, you can get a genuine Weaver rail for about £10 off the US Ebay site or pay through the nose for one here. The latest Henry Big Boys have rail mounting holes on the top of the receiver, mine is from last September so uses the older cantilever mount which screws into holes under the rear sight (just knocks out).

Don't get me wrong I like both rifles and they each have their place with me, the Marlin is a great lighter weight fun rifle and the Henry (which is bigger and heavier) is my "proper" rifle which is a pleasure to shoot every time I pick it up.

Edited by phaedra1106

Whacked 100rnds through the Henry Friday evening, 5 to set up the scope then shot consistently raggy 3/4" holes using groups of 10 shots a time for the next 30mins getting rid of my previous loads (and so I had some brass to try out the STM tumbler!.

I can shoot better than that (honest) but was in a hurry as we were the last ones on the range and it was quickly heading towards closing time!. Not found any difference between the Marlin and the Henry for accuracy at 25/35m.

Edited by phaedra1106

I am applying for the .357 version and reading some of the stuff from the US, they say that the older Marlins are by far the best guns, but since the takover by Remington, they have apparently been plagued by quality control issues, big style - sights so far off they cannot be adjusted, gaps between wood and action you can get a credit card in, cracked stocks, etc, etc. The consensus from there seems to be get an older Marlin, if you can't, look at the Rossi's.

It's strange that a lot of people rate the marlin as I picked one up last week and it was a heavy lump of a thing compared to a Winchester or browning....I am looking for a 22LR UL at the moment and just can't decide although I have a win 9422M at the moment and it is very well made, looks fantastic and shoots very well...

Regards,

Gixer