Blown patterns/windy days

supergame

Over a good few years it has become obvious to me that on really windy days that number seven shot is pretty useless after 30 yards and clean kills are a bit of a lottery.Personally I tennd to opt for 6s most of the time anyway and on really rough days I will even drop down to number 5s. It took a while to work this out,but now I have my results have improved no end. Would the users of this forum agree? There were times when I felt that there was no lead in the cartridges and couldn't understand the reason why I wasn't hitting what looked to be relatively easy birds. Only Yesterday at a clayshoot I was using 8s on most stands and having the odd miss and only just breaking the others,but on changing back to 7s and sometimes 6s my score improved dramatically on certain stands such as a fast high midi at range.

:angry: Like Cranfield I also normally stick to 30gram 6,s for shooting in the field but normally use the plastic wads unless asked not to.

On the few occasions I shoot clays, I use 7.5,s as they usually insist on fibre wads so it means buying seperate cartridges anyway.

Cranfield and me must be on the right track anyway as we both use the same famous hide poles!!! :angry:  :D  :angry:

i always use 32gm 7's with half and three quarter chokes unless it is really windy i will use three quarter and full with no.6's in my full choke because my second shot is usually fireing at range.

But as dogsnuts said it's what your comfortable with. :angry:  :angry:

Granted you may be confident with your chosen combination,but my point was do you not feel more confident in a strong high wind with 6s instead of 7s. To be honest .223 I agree with your point but 7s are not nearly as effective on windy days as 6s or 5s. Try a box of fives on a nasty day and I bet your bag will improve.