Reluctant Delivery

labstaff

I have an 8 month old lab whose basic training is coming along nicely. She will recall perfectly without a dummy but when retrieving she will pick the dummy and run round with it. She will recall in with it but when she gets to me she will turn her head away, put her head down pretty much move round so I can't get the dummy. I've let her jump up at me and fussed her with it in her mouth but no matter how long I wait when my hand gets near the dummy she will move her head.

I've tried walking away and bringing her into heel which she will do but as soon as she is at heel she will put the dummy down and walk at heel!

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Thanks

have you tried replacing the dummy with food? do a couple of recalls with some nice treats for when she comes back like a bit of cheese or hotdog then try a retrieve. When she returns with the dummy get down to her level with both hands in front of you, let her see the food in one hand and keep your other hand open to receive the dummy, when she comes close take the dummy before she has a chance to drop it and give the command word and feed her the treat. Try this a few times then stop letting her see the food but still treat her, then eventually get rid of the food altogether.

Another thing i did was just sitting at home in front of the tv get her to sit, get her to hold the dummy, then when you take it off her give the release word and treat with food. This way she learns she gets a treat everytime she gives it. Then once again slowly start removing the food.

Well I'd be unsteadying her & making it all a big game, fun for her to chase, fetch & bring you things. Start indoors or in the garden, use anything that she'll happily retrieve, let her give you it & don't grab at it. To me what you are describing is a dog lacking confidence.

Last two or maybee three days delivery has become weeker with my own pup (comming up 6mnths). Now all dogs have different motivations and i am not sure why he has started this. What i am sure of though is it will get fixed before it becomes estabilished behavour.

My own pup is totaly focused on the front door, once released from the kennel he makes a B-line for it. I even have to call him away to take a pee. When i first intoduced Rabbit fur dummies i sent him from the front door, knowing full well he would run out for the retrieve but come back fast with a good delivery to this location.

Now the training bag has got hung up in the shed now and he will only get one or two rerieves per day from this location only (few dummies deposited inside of door) and return to this location is darn near a garantee as you can get. Once he has been at this a fortnight or so good delivery should be firmly re-established- before any lasting problems become established. IF YOU LET THIS ISSUE BECOME ESTABLISHED ITS HARDER AND HARDER TO SOLVE THE LONGER ITS LEFT- THE LONGER THE CURE but dont fret the dogs young take it easy no presure just outhink the dog and use any devious measures you can :good: :good:

have you tried replacing the dummy with food? do a couple of recalls with some nice treats for when she comes back like a bit of cheese or hotdog then try a retrieve. When she returns with the dummy get down to her level with both hands in front of you, let her see the food in one hand and keep your other hand open to receive the dummy, when she comes close take the dummy before she has a chance to drop it and give the command word and feed her the treat. Try this a few times then stop letting her see the food but still treat her, then eventually get rid of the food altogether.

Another thing i did was just sitting at home in front of the tv get her to sit, get her to hold the dummy, then when you take it off her give the release word and treat with food. This way she learns she gets a treat everytime she gives it. Then once again slowly start removing the food.

Many feel food should never be used for a retrieving reward. In deed in any worthwhile gundog the retrieve is enough reward. Spitting the retrieve being the issue with this