This Sat on the rape

gottsy boy

Hi all

i've got a day shooting planned for this sat. i have been watching a rape field all this week ive driven past on the way to waork and on the way home, at about seven in the morning the birds seem to drop in to feed in 2 and 3's and when i go back at about 4.30 pm the are in flocks on the field in about 30-50;s

any sergestions on how to go about shooting it, i was thinking of a 5.30 am start to try and get them on the way in when they are in smaller numbers at first light but not sure of the early start..and if this will work or just put them of to another field?

Any idears i dont normaly shoot this time of year so a bit unsure.

I would say the early shift is better. They do seem to feed well in the afternoon, but usually its a shorter window, I've also have seen them piling in "follow the leader" style at 4.30 to 5, but then its over by 5.45-6. All the set up time for such a short afternoon session is a bit of a pain. Of course you could do both with a long lazy lunch in between :yes:

Hope you have a good day whatever your decision. :good:

Edited by turbo33

Got there this morning at 5.45 set up and ready to shoot by 6.20 set up with 12 decoys and 2 floaters and 2 flappers.

first bird hit the pattern at about 7 followed by 5 of his friends shot the first one then missed the seccond bunch shot 4 in the next half hour and then it went dead not a sausage,

left at 11 to drive past a grass verge with about 150 birds feeding on the clover..grraaa doesnt pigeon shooting get on ya tits.

think i'm going to try and find some drills next week they seem late this year.

Got there this morning at 5.45 set up and ready to shoot by 6.20 set up with 12 decoys and 2 floaters and 2 flappers.

first bird hit the pattern at about 7 followed by 5 of his friends shot the first one then missed the seccond bunch shot 4 in the next half hour and then it went dead not a sausage,

left at 11 to drive past a grass verge with about 150 birds feeding on the clover..grraaa doesnt pigeon shooting get on ya tits.

think i'm going to try and find some drills next week they seem late this year.

dont get down ole parter' 3 of us went out inbetween Hainford and Buxton today, rape was in perfect condition, there was a flock of about 1500-2000 bids over Buxton way and a flock to our left just flying over Carters Wood at Hainford up and down up and down....the flock at Buxton lifted off every 10 mins cause of the gas gun, and a dozen or so would peel off and head off to Hainford near the Chequers pub...all i did all afternoon was drink coffee and pee in the hedge my 1st mate went to sleep and i wandered over to my other mate and his cocker spaniel was snoring its head off on his chest, the skylarks had started singing, so i had another pee and had a snooze........thats pigeon shooting for you eh !

dont get down ole parter' 3 of us went out inbetween Hainford and Buxton today, rape was in perfect condition, there was a flock of about 1500-2000 bids over Buxton way and a flock to our left just flying over Carters Wood at Hainford up and down up and down....the flock at Buxton lifted off every 10 mins cause of the gas gun, and a dozen or so would peel off and head off to Hainford near the Chequers pub...all i did all afternoon was drink coffee and pee in the hedge my 1st mate went to sleep and i wandered over to my other mate and his cocker spaniel was snoring its head off on his chest, the skylarks had started singing, so i had another pee and had a snooze........thats pigeon shooting for you eh !

:blink: :blink: :blink: