log splitter

dodgy dave

Hi dave,

If you going the hydraulic route try and get one which the tractor pto runs a hydraulic pump. The ones that connect to the tractor hydraulics directly do work but take a long time to operate. I am only talking from experience with old fergys and fordson majors but newer tractors are probably a lot better.

thanks for the replys just the answer i was looking for as i have a grey fergi and a 165 what about the screw type

A fried of mines brother supplies wood for a part of his living and they found the “screw type” far to slow. It was ok on the narley bits, however they went for a horizontal type in the end. A firm I deal with are making a log splitter at the moment which takes a meter diameter slab and runs off a 25 hp hydro pack!

When I did logs in my younger days I had a very good quality 10lb axe and laps like a Russian gymnast!!

TEH

Oxdale splitter is very good hydraulic.

Can be a little slow on an old tractor but still acceptable speed, just rev it up a bit.

My biggest concern was speed but I am pleased with it. I usually run it on a bigger modern tractor but my old 434 will do the job. Your Fergies will be fine, T20 will have to dump to the filler cap by the gear lever. Not sure what oil return is on a 165 but could be the same as the T20.

Never fancied the screw type. People that have them tell me they are OK but they do look far too dangerous to me.

FYI I split 25 tons a year with the Oxdale for my own use.

Cousin has a Browns/Spaldings model and he's pleased with that too.

A fried of mines brother supplies wood for a part of his living and they found the “screw type” far to slow. It was ok on the narley bits, however they went for a horizontal type in the end. A firm I deal with are making a log splitter at the moment which takes a meter diameter slab and runs off a 25 hp hydro pack!

When I did logs in my younger days I had a very good quality 10lb axe and laps like a Russian gymnast!!

Here is a picture of that log spliter,It is used in the rough cutting of willow for the cricket trade

TEH

post-23668-0-17589700-1332173317.jpg