Stock refinishing/renovation

sg1

Was given an AYA the other day (serial No: 307**), the action and barrels are fine but it was 'attached' to a badly split stock(and split/previously repaired forend) and previously repaired butt !!

After removing the wood I proceeded to repair the 2 large splits at the front of the stock by splitting slightly further and using Epoxy resin to join together again and left clamped up for 2 days until fully cured.A similar method was used on the 2 splits on the forend.

Also there were more dinks and dents than I'd dealt with before on a stock repair so the simple solution was to firstly steam out the many minor dents and then rub back down to bare Walnut and then once prepped, have it refinished.(this will be done by a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker/french polisher by trade) The awkward bit will be matching the repaired areas to the original Walnut colour:-

2012-03-20174803.jpg

2012-03-20174821.jpg

I'll let you know how it turns out :good:

atvb

sg1

Edited by sg1

• 3 weeks later...

My AYA's stock is nearly ready for reassembly :) , I've cleaned up the action but not too much as I don't want to make it look brand new and lose all it's character!! As soon as she's back together , I'll put some pics up on here and I'll also post how she shoots this weekend at 50+ clays :good: (gonna need to make more room in my cabinet now :hmm: !! )

atvb

sg1

Here's the stock after I got it back today:-

2012-04-12172824.jpg

2012-04-12172818.jpg

2012-04-12172754.jpg

2012-04-12172846.jpg

Extremely impressed with the way it turned out , you can BARELY see the cut in piece of wood in the rear of stock!! :) and he did it at mates rates which basically means it's cost me a bottle of gin :good:

I'll put up a couple of final pics when it's all reassembled probably tomorrow.

atvb

sg1

You can't see it in the video, but the metal of the action between the top lever and the safety catch sits proud by about 1mm due to the stock being rubbed down through about a MILLION layers of varnish as it's now oil stained instead. I don't mind though and I hit EVERYTHING I pointed it at last Sunday so all's good and that was with 21Gram carts as I don't want the stock to split again!!

Thanks for your kind comments,

atvb

sg1