Lab Running Off

ShaggyRS6

Its been a long time since my little treasure has had any for of training, I am now at a place in my life where I want to start to get the dogs doing what I want them to do within limits of course.

The worse thing for both the spaniel and the lab although worse for the lab is that they run off and don't come back until they decide they want too.

How do I retrain them not to do this. They are both keen to learn, I know this for sure, the spaniel is 7 and the lab 3 nearly 4. Me, well I am useless and need some guidance.

I can feel a long lead coming in but not sure what to do.

Thanks all

Its been a long time since my little treasure has had any for of training, I am now at a place in my life where I want to start to get the dogs doing what I want them to do within limits of course.

The worse thing for both the spaniel and the lab although worse for the lab is that they run off and don't come back until they decide they want too.

How do I retrain them not to do this. They are both keen to learn, I know this for sure, the spaniel is 7 and the lab 3 nearly 4. Me, well I am useless and need some guidance.

I can feel a long lead coming in but not sure what to do.

Thanks all

Train them seperately on leads and back to basics ,i,m afraid they will run around all day long in each others company ,why would they want to come back to you ?

hi Shaggy

I have only just started training my lab, but the trainer was certain that by going completely back to obiedience training and the dog would learn to want to be with you.

Your dogs probably run off as a 'pack' so have no need for your leadership. I would go back to heeling and the sit and stay and build it up. I may be wrong but if they are quick learners and you make sure you lead then i dont see why it would take a long time for them to stop what they are currently doing. But i would definately train them separately and build in the dogs to each others training to act as a distraction/test and correct if they do not pay attention to you.

I know it is a bit rich for me to give advice when I am only starting training my own dog, but hope it helps

Hey mate I have a lab the same age as yours and although he has had some basic training it is now that I am in to my shooting I want to sort him out a bit.

First tip do it singly as he isn't interested in me when another dog is around. They are far to much fun.

I also find if I spend half an hour running or my favourite trick kicking a ball down a steep hill for him to fetch then he is too knackered to be running off and is more attentive to some training. I think it's a case of " ok I"ll do what you want, just don't throw that bloody ball anymore"

Good luck I too am kicking myself for not persevering with proper training when he was young. Hindsight aye

Dan

Ps met your bro the other week. Gonna have him down on my permission for some air rifle shooting, if ure up one weekend maybe you can tag along. It's very small but better than watching the coronation street omnibus

Sorry that last bit was meant for Rosebank. Should have read the thread properly I thought it was his!

Edited by Dannyboy220

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried with and extendable lead last night and a whistle and the response from her was immediatte, was like she remembered and knew what to do. Gonna persevere.

I think the spaniel may be beyond help :)

you may be right with the spaniel :rolleyes: as it will take a lot to reel him in to close hunting ranges, but no reason why he cant have a good recall and a stop to whistle training.

sounds like the lab is worth redeeming, where possible give the lab extra 121 time, when you can do some training,

try and encourage him to walk at heel either on or off lead, with only controlled training retrieves as his free time,

such as walking at heel reach a place to do a few retrieves, then back to heel and change location, then do a few more retrieves possibly building in some long memory retrieves so he can really stretch his legs and run out and back.

i tend to take all 3 of mine for a quick blast together then go out again 121 with each of them. even if it is only 20mins each one you'll be suprised what you can fit into 20mins

the discipline of the heel work will have him focusing on you in no time, and he will also love the dummy work.

jan

Hey mate I have a lab the same age as yours and although he has had some basic training it is now that I am in to my shooting I want to sort him out a bit.

First tip do it singly as he isn't interested in me when another dog is around. They are far to much fun.

I also find if I spend half an hour running or my favourite trick kicking a ball down a steep hill for him to fetch then he is too knackered to be running off and is more attentive to some training. I think it's a case of " ok I"ll do what you want, just don't throw that bloody ball anymore"

Good luck I too am kicking myself for not persevering with proper training when he was young. Hindsight aye

Dan

Ps met your bro the other week. Gonna have him down on my permission for some air rifle shooting, if ure up one weekend maybe you can tag along. It's very small but better than watching the coronation street omnibus

Sorry that last bit was meant for Rosebank. Should have read the thread properly I thought it was his!

thanks for the invite, i should be up in a couple of weeks once easter has passed. it would be good to meet someone else with a lab that does the same as Rosie