Taxidermy

hedd-wyn

As a kid I' was always been fascinated with taxidermy, and have always thought about getting one of my kills stuffed and mounted :blush:

Now it's obviously a job for the skilled and can't say that I have ever met anyone who's into the art.

Does anyone on PW do this themselves?

Anyone know what the process is?

Or could give me an idea on the prices of mounts e.g fox head, hare ect?

Not expecting this to be a 5 pager but really fascinated and thinking of giving it a blast sometime in the future.

HW30

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do taxidermy, what do you want to know?

Christ, you've put me on the spot :)

How would you treat the skin (if at all) after removing it from the bone?

Would you use the actual skull, or would you use a synthetic skull?

How hard is it to do?

What would yo suggest the 'norm' steps would be?

Sorry, I'm chucking questions because it sounds so complicated and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to get started :blush:

Really interested in this, and appreciate the info so please be gentle :good:

used to do it in my younger days, the key is patience and good skinning skills, used to get my supplies from snowdonia taxidermy supplies, dont know if they still operate, once you have whatever your doing skinned, say a foxes head, care must be taken round the eyes and ears, then its just a case of treating the skin for a couple week or so in a solution, usually formaldehyde, to get your supplies right you should weigh the fox first and the supplier will match a headform up for you, also teeth and tongue set and eyes, the headforms are really good,look just like the skull,a bit of patience is needed to put it togethor, ie - setting the eyes properly and putting the teeth set in,you may have to use glue for the gums, i used to have a photo of the animal to look at whilst doing it, once your happy with the pose of the animal just pin it all over and let it dry, just make sure it doesnt dry out too quick round the eyes and mouth, once dried its just a case of a bit of filling here and there with some special putty and touch up with paint and your done, get a good book and have a go, you may get hooked. :good:

The skill is removing the skin and cleaning it the art form is putting it back together to make look life like. you need lots of time and patients as described by Tod. If you are interested go on a trianing course with Phil Leggett or Mike Gadd and learn the basics well, practice lots and join the Guild of Taxidermists.

it is not one of those hobbies that takes a month or two to master, i would sugges that years would be more realistic. If you want supplies then use John Hallett Taxidermy Supplies - a great man that I could not recommend enough

The skill is removing the skin and cleaning it the art form is putting it back together to make look life like. you need lots of time and patients as described by Tod. If you are interested go on a trianing course with Phil Leggett or Mike Gadd and learn the basics well, practice lots and join the Guild of Taxidermists.

it is not one of those hobbies that takes a month or two to master, i would sugges that years would be more realistic. If you want supplies then use John Hallett Taxidermy Supplies - a great man that I could not recommend enough

John is a friend of mine and lives about two miles from me. I remember John starting his taxidermy, and now he's top class. He does a hell of a lot of work for people who have been to South Africa, game hunting.

I too, would recommend John for your supplies or advice.

Great, thanks guys.

Tod; Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies are still in action, never realised they existed, and just 'round the corner so to speak. So cheers for that.

I would really like to get into this, even though I have considered lessons they do seem very expensive.

Best thing to do is start on birds first. Their thin skins means minimum skin preserving is required and as they are covered in feathers they are very forgiving for amateurs to start on. Best Birds to start on include Jays, Jackdaws, Partridges, Hen Pheasant,Starlings as they are medium sized with reasonably strong skins + not too much fat. Birds for the amateur/beginner to avoid are Waterfowl,Woodcock, and wading birds in general, Woodpeckers, with the exception of green woodpacker, Owls and Birds of Prey in general. Also anything with a Wattle can give special problems, so Hens and Cockerels, Cock Pheasant, Guinea fowl etc

Tools needed are minimal for birds, and a good book on the subject helps no end. I would recommend the 1982 book 'Taxidermy' by John C Metcalf as a good starting point. You could also Join the Guild of taxidermists, as they are a wealth of good info.

Next after birds it is wise to move onto small mammals such as Squirrel,Rabbit, Mink,Stoat in fact most animal up to the size of a fox. Tanning is the best way to preserve mammal skins but you can pickle also if you dont want to tan, however the mounts dont last as long. American books are great and John Hallett is a great source of info as is Snowdonia, however they are a bit expensive once you start to do any real quantity of work . Then go for larger mammals such as deer heads and farmyard animals etc.

By the time you are looking at larger animals you will have a good idea what is around in terms of supplies and info.

All the best

taximan

Great, thanks guys.

Tod; Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies are still in action, never realised they existed, and just 'round the corner so to speak. So cheers for that.

I would really like to get into this, even though I have considered lessons they do seem very expensive.

I've bought tanning chemical from STS. You mix it with 2 gallons of water, and it lasts ages. I use about 3 litres to cure a fox tail/rabbit pelt, and it can be re-used.

Great, thanks guys.

get yourself a good book fella thats how i started, if your good with your hands and have patients youll be fine, i wouldnt start with a bird as suggested though, their skin is like tissue and youll just end up losing your rag and binning it, my advice is start by trying to skin a rabbit head without damaging it, then move onto a fox mask, i found them easy and with the supplies you can get now even a novice can do a cracking job, have a go, youll surprise yourself, let us know how you get on fella. :good:

get yourself a good book fella thats how i started, if your good with your hands and have patients youll be fine, i wouldnt start with a bird as suggested though, their skin is like tissue and youll just end up losing your rag and binning it, my advice is start by trying to skin a rabbit head without damaging it, then move onto a fox mask, i found them easy and with the supplies you can get now even a novice can do a cracking job, have a go, youll surprise yourself, let us know how you get on fella. :good:

Nice one, sounds like a plan... and another hobby that the Mrs is going to love I can tell :lol:

I am pretty patient, and artistic, and don't give up easily. If it was easy then I probably wouldn't bother.

I'l be nagging you guys for tips soon :)

Yeah I tried it years ago, inherited an old book on it so I thought i'd give it a go on a squirrel. I like to think I'm pretty good with my hands and done lots of different crafts, but the end result could best be described as good at scaring the kids. Good luck!!