Roll crimping

Afternoon,

Just getting in to reloading BP and tried crimping and roll closing, I prefer rolling them and in the paper cases the carts roll really well, when I try plastic though I do not seem to have the teqnique, the case seems to rufuse to roll then buckles if I continue. Using a pillar drill on slowest setting.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for your help guys, this worked an absolute treat. :good:

Used a small amount of lube then allowed the tool to heat up a little. Needed no effort at all when it started, the unit on the left is the trial one to see what would happen and I am now able to get a full 3 dram load with 32 grams of lead into a 65mm cart with just enough room to spare.

post-23648-0-41673300-1333826590.jpg

Used a small amount of lube then allowed the tool to heat up a little. Needed no effort at all when it started, the unit on the left is the trial one to see what would happen and I am now able to get a full 3 dram load with 32 grams of lead into a 65mm cart with just enough room to spare.

Well done - if you are loading 65mm then there is no need to use new cases. I trim 5mm off a once fired 70mm case and a slong as the rto is warm it will leave a superb finish on it. If you don't have a case trimmer - then you can use a peice of 18mm dowel, put it in a vice and slip the 70mm case on to it, take a modeling knife and hold it where you want to trim to and simply turn the case around. With a little practice you will get perfect 65mm cases

Regards

Graham

Guest cookoff013

that load looks like factory ! good job !

what i would like to say, is keep the crimps tight. loose crimps, and damaged cases can really kill a load.

i`ve seen Black Powder homeloads, and one thing i always try to recommend, use a overpowder card and decent fibre wadding. by decent i mean tall enough to keep the crimp nice, i prefer taller wads for blackpowder. the powder burns at a seriously hot temperature.

you may also want to think about backing off the powder charge, 3 drams of powder is a classic load but has a maximum speed of 1200fps.

comermcial BP loads are about 2.5 drams. just change the shotsize, at those speeds, it`ll pattern tighter anyway.

they look great !