pigeon question for summer

Matt Gould

hello everybody i know harvest time is a little way off yet but I have a quick question. i was speaking to the farmer the other day and to cut a long story short he said they plough the fields up pretty much as soon as they harvest it, i was just wondering if the pigeons will still feed on the fields like they would if i was stubble ? obviousloy it depends if there is food for them but just wondering if anybody has had any experiance with this ???:good: cheers Matt

rape seen is normaly direct drilled ?

Rape is around where i am direct drilled. beans last year where very good after plowing as most beans where out of the pod before it got combined so there where still plenty for the pigeons to feed on :) we shot twice on there (after plwoing)getting bags of 70 and 160

We direct drill alot now. I dont think we drill any rape with the 'normal' drill. If you know what crop the particular field was last year then i might be able to say what it will be next year. We tend to do this: wheat, wheat, rape. Or wheat wheat peas. etc. So if it was wheat last year it will proberbly be rape or a similar crop (one that puts nitrogen into the soild) next year.

We direct drill alot now. I dont think we drill any rape with the 'normal' drill. If you know what crop the particular field was last year then i might be able to say what it will be next year. We tend to do this: wheat, wheat, rape. Or wheat wheat peas. etc. So if it was wheat last year it will proberbly be rape or a similar crop (one that puts nitrogen into the soild) next year.

yeah thanks they do it similar here, without the peas, its normaly weat,weat,rape......... so have got alot of rape next year. just hope they drill it direct ! im sure they do becasue the rape im shooting this year has alot of old stubble showing through, whereas if it was ploughed im sure it would not be visable as much :good:

Edited by Matt Gould

• 3 weeks later...

definately get on the stubble, this summer ill be there on side of the combine for the bunnies, foxes and hares then as soon as its done, out the decoys will come. ploughed fields encourage the seagulls and a fair few corvids but not much in terms of pigeons