Game sausage ??

Scottoj18

The problem with using game in a sausage is that most game like venison, pigeon and even pheasant is that they are very lean, for the perfect sausage you need fat. That's why pork work so well. I would personally never use game for sausage it just ruins it but if you are going to make sausage to make anything that's nice I would reccomend using some

Pork in the recipe too maybe 3/4 game and 1/4 pork a really fatty cut like belly or shoulder. And leave them as simple as possible don't mess about with spices simply salt, pepper and maybe a few herbs if you really must.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Would game make good sausages ?

rabbit,

wood pigeon and liver,

squirrel,

Pheasant and palmer ham,

Any other ideas or any1 know of some good reciepes ??

It certainly does! Lydney Park near where I live make and sell them using venison, pheasant and partridge but have no idea what else they put in, breadcrumbs I guess but must be some fat as well. They are delicious.

Have you tried Googling Game Sausage? Bet there are plenty of recipes. Personally I wouldn't use liver and wouldn't waste Parma Ham in them, use the ham with the melons that are coming into the shops at the moment! :drool:

• 1 month later...

could always add some pork belly fat .. rabbit and wood pigeon i use together a lot (most available to me) and can't see any reason why u couldn't add squirrel or pheasant if u wished .. though i wouldn't waste pheasant in a sausage personally … all above go great in a stir fry too . I did make a rabbit and wood pigeon casserole recently for non-shooters and the plates were left empty :good:

Edited by jinxy72