Home extention cost

rimfire4969

Could someone give me the rough cost per meter for a extension to my house up to first fix, 2 story and pitched roof (flat roof at the moment), kichen, bathroom and one bedroom, rooms already there just making them bigger.

There seem to be a lot of wood cladded places beening build around here at the moment, does that work out cheaper than block?

Thanks

Rimmy

I own a 2 bed terrace that I rent out just had a new kitchen and bathroom extension built and the garden re-done plus house re-plastered and re-wired came in at £24.000.

But it was quite a big job really...can't remember the exact size but will dig out the plans out tonight and look for you...

Had double doors put in out to the garden and all that stuff that the wife wanted done...even tho it's rented out it all still had to be top stuff no expense spared...

How longs a piece of string ??

Basic shell about £40 - 50 per ft2 of total floor area so 15 x 15 2 storey would be about 18,000 - 22,500

Depends very much on specification and what work is about in your area.

The wood you see on new builds is to comply with Code for Sustainable Homes, Heat loss and Environmental reasons such as BREEAM its generally is more expensive than traditional construction.

How longs a piece of string ??

Basic shell about £40 - 50 per ft2 of total floor area so 15 x 15 2 storey would be about 18,000 - 22,500

Depends very much on specification and what work is about in your area.

The wood you see on new builds is to comply with Code for Sustainable Homes, Heat loss and Environmental reasons such as BREEAM its generally is more expensive than traditional construction.

Thanks, I know it's depends on loads of bits and pieces, but I only want a rough estimate. So yours goes a long way to give me an idea.

Finished new build is running at between £1200 and £1500/m2 of floor space. With your part finished spec budget for £1000/m, but that assumes a reasonably level site, simple drainage and good access. Base your budget on the national average, without scimping, then work out how savings can be made. Don't just assume you can pare down the unit cost before you start just because you're doing a lot of the work yourself. Seen lots of people do that and it always goes pear-shaped. The great unknown is the groundwork aspect. You can spend a third of your budget, at least, on small extensions just getting out of the ground if topography, substrate and drainage is awkward. If you're on rock on the side of a hill with sewers all over the place, get a professional quote for the oversite and work out a seperate price for the above ground structure.

Unless your house is timber frame, the timber cladding will be a finish applied over the blockwork, not instead of, so it will be extra. Not much price difference between rendering and cladding if your do the cladding yourself. If you're paying a trade to do it, I would say render would be cheaper.

Edited by Gimlet

You have already had some sensible prices and information :good: but get some local builders to look over your proposed project and give you a guestimation of likely costs,you may even be able to find a good one or at least sift out some you wouldnt want to use.

When the time comes,get several itemised fixed price quotations in writing and do not pay any money up front,they will want stage payments,ie when an agreed stage is complete then you pay for that part and so on,in the contract you should have the option to hold back a retention to correct any faults on completion and up to six months after.