FAC APPLICATION

BRAD1927

Hi all I have been given the nod from my FEO that if I apply for my FAC now Iwill almost certainly get it.

To that end I really only require a .17HMR .22LR both with mods as I think this will cover what I need to shoot rabbit/fox.

The question is should I apply for a larger calibre to future proof and if so what one? And also could I please have suggestions for rounds held/purchased

Also should I apply for FAC air as I already own a HW100 sub 12?

I really dont whant to screw this up so all advice welcomed.

Many thanks in advance.

Your FEO can be the best person to advise you on what will be accepted, I'd suggest applying to buy 500 rounds of .22/.17 ammo, hold 600. You might be able to push this to buy 1000, hold 1200 depending on your area, but 5/600 should certainly be OK.

Not all forces allow .22lr and .17HMR for fox, and even if they do while they're capable rounds they do have their limits, if you plan to do any long range fox control, or many foxes, get something bigger.

As you must have land available, I would certainly apply for a centre-fire now. Don't worry about the calibre too much, get one down and then you can at least change it for free without paying for a variation if you change your mind when you go to buy one in the future. I suggest to ask to buy 200 rounds, hold 300. Anything from a .22 hornet to a .243 is good for fox, depending on the ranges. If you think you might want deer or to do long range foxing in the future a .243 is great. Just make sure you buy one before renewing the certificate in 5 years (you'll want one long before that, don't worry!).

There's no harm in putting down for FAC air if you might want one in the future, if you've a .22lr and a .17HMR I don't really see the point of them (but each to their own), it's best to put down for everything you might ever want now as it'll only cost you a variation fee when you want one in the future - I've made that mistake!

For the smaller caliber either or 22LR/17HMR, both have plus and minus points. Your force will almost certainly not allow either caliber onto your ticket for fox, therefore I would ask for .223 or 204 Ruger for that. Both these will handle a fox out to the 300 yard region in skilled hands or 200 yards in less experienced hands.

As others have said talk to your FEO.

A