plonkers with air rifles

carpcrazy

mornin all,

i would say good mornin. but it not. :angry: i sat down after the school run with a brew an the local rag. and the front page was a full cover story from the vets telling us about the number of local cats he's been treating of late that had been shot with pellet guns. its made my blood boil as i live in a town surronded by farm land an wooded areas in every direction. there in no need to go round shootin cats an dogs full stop. now the vets is rallyin to get a restriction on the sale a changes in the law of air rifles. :no: i hate mindless thugary an i no it happens all over the place. but in this town even if the low lives dont want to seek a permision there only a 5min walk away to sumwere out the way :angry: people like that make me sick.

gaz

its a case of idiots spoil it for everyone, my solution (and i know its not perfect and will attract a lot of nay-sayers) is to put air rifles on a sgc but remove the silly power limit.

ie: get a sgc and get the right to buy and use higher power air rifles, without the drama of going through fac.

or an air rifle only cert - which is a very basic check on the person (no land or reference checks - at a lower price)

anyone who really wants to get one still could - and the idiots would not be able to.

but given the number already in circulation i acknowledge it would be difficult to enforce.

but eventually something will be done, these incidents seem to get a lot of press each time.

Edited by pegasus bridge

it not right though the things have been around for countless yrs an coz of pockets on yobs. people like my self could lose there rifles as i understand if u have any sort of violence on your criminal record then you would not be granted a fac :no: its ****** me off as i love shooting i could be made to stop because of idiots :angry:

Pegasus, I'm with you on this! I think there needs to be some form of licensing of Air rifles. This isn't going to be a popular opinion i doubt, but I'd rather see proper licensing and for it be enforcible than see the sport banned altogether or made so expensive that it dies anyway. I don't think it should be too much to ask that you should have to prove that you have legitimate cause to own an air rifle. Club membership or proof of permission or clear need to use on on your own property could be easily established and would help RFDs be confident that the guns they sell are being used for legitimate purposes.

The problem is getting it started and what to do about all the guns already out there! I guess it might have to be like the enforcement of seatbelts in cars. If your car was made prior to them not being required by law to be in the car, you don't need to fit them, but any car purchased after that date MUST have seatbelts. So you wouldn't need to get an 'airgun license' if you already owned one, but if buying a new one from a RFD then you'd need one. then reputable forums could start requiring second hand buyers to have them as well, thus the number who didn't have one would gradually drop and hopefully incidents like this would gradually dwindle out. Would this work??

I don't know. But i'd rather have the vexation of another form to fill in and proof of use be attached than lose the sport altogether. after all, fishing is licensed by the EA. It's another £30 gone but the money's well sused in safeguarding the sport and supporting the rivers' ecosystems, so more good would come out of it than just protecting the sport from dullards?

We'll see I guess

and as carpcrazy says that's a belter! how heavy is it? bait used? (wait this is shooting not fishing. red herring there. more fishing. doh)

Edited by chrisjpainter

As much as I agree with the idea of licensing air rifles I somewhat fear that it will make life diffecult for the vast majority of legal shooters and when a low life fancies one then they'll just get it from some illegal source.

I don't think people would mind if it was around £30 for the 5 years and that would allow you to have an air rifle up to 30 Ft/Lbs.

pegasus bridge, I am sort of with you, I understand your idea. The thing is, an air-gun only cert would end up the same as a shotgun cert, and I fear that in time a shotgun cert will end up the same as a FAC and you'd have to prove good reason. You'd also have to have an approved cabinet of course.

What bothers me, is that although most people should be able to get one without difficulty, it won't be free and probably not quick either, and it's the only easy way to get into shooting in any form. If people have to pay a fee and get a certificate and cabinet, I think fewer people would take up shooting, and that badly affects us all.

At least at the moment you can just go and buy a cheap rifle and have a go, and sell it on easily if you don't like shooting, no paperwork, no fees, no time, no legal system etc.

The other problem is I very much doubt it'd do any good - the people who are taking shots at cats, dogs, people or whatever are the lowlife scum-bag oxygen thieves, and getting them to give up air-guns will be almost impossible - very much like banning handguns, it hasn't stopped handgun crime.

Wait and see what happens with Scotland - watch them introduce it and see how successful it is.

You should all feel very lucky, as over hear in northern ireland you need a full fire arm licence to own all air rifles and pistols like the g10 etc. Bacically over a cheap bb gun power, cant remember the exact power. You also need to have a valid reason to own one not just plinking! Its a bit of joke but it does help put an end to all this junk. If your found withone your charged with possion of a firearm, same as if you have a shotgun etc without licence!!

You should all feel very lucky, as over hear in northern ireland you need a full fire arm licence to own all air rifles and pistols like the g10 etc. Bacically over a cheap bb gun power, cant remember the exact power. You also need to have a valid reason to own one not just plinking! Its a bit of joke but it does help put an end to all this junk. If your found withone your charged with possion of a firearm, same as if you have a shotgun etc without licence!!

Yep all air guns over 1 Joule (~0.7ft/lb) must be on an FAC in Northern Ireland

N.Irish shooters out there; do you feel it's massively annoying to have to fill in the forms and stuff for an air rifle and does it cost much? I'm wondering whether you think that the price and laws put people off shooting. I guess a lot of people do get into shooting through air gun ownership and I'd hate to see the grass roots stuff suffer. Never really thought about it that way before! I started shooting because of rats and of course turned to an air rifle, so it doesn't surprise me and any sport needs fresh blood (so to speak!).

It's of course annoying having to fill the form in, because it's pretty much identical to applying for a rimfire. You have to provide a form filled out by the landowner if it's for vermin control use. Otherwise you'll need to join a target shooting club. Alot of people just say what's the point, and apply for a rimmy instead. The only benefit is, all certificates are automatically "open".

I don't like the way people are calling for licensing, registration precedes confiscation. Once they know where (most) of the air rifles are, it makes it a lot easier to enforce a ban in the future, should they want to. Again, you have to look quite far into the future, because authorities take things from you bit by bit, hoping you won't notice.

Edited by AngryHan

I think they should scrap FAC and SGC and bring in a cert for shotguns as they are currently defined in law, all air guns, including what is currently section 1 with the land requirement being a letter of permission and maybe even provision for a .22 LR rifle, but with similar style restrictions as are currently on shotguns, such as minimum barrel length, restriced mag capacity etc along with the required letter of permission. Then larger bore rifles and section 1 shotguns can go onto the updated FAC.

This would cut out the idiots who want an airgun to shoot at pets and cause trouble, ensure they are safer from theft (Kept in a cabinet) but also make it easier for anyone wanting to enter the world of shooting by having the access to most tools of the sport, albeit a limited choice as regards to rifles, all on one cert, but keeping the 'big boys toys' on a different cert to keep joe public happy.

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

I think they should scrap FAC and SGC and bring in a cert for shotguns as they are currently defined in law, all air guns, including what is currently section 1 with the land requirement being a letter of permission and maybe even provision for a .22 LR rifle, but with similar style restrictions as are currently on shotguns, such as minimum barrel length, restriced mag capacity etc along with the required letter of permission. Then larger bore rifles and section 1 shotguns can go onto the updated FAC.

This would cut out the idiots who want an airgun to shoot at pets and cause trouble, ensure they are safer from theft (Kept in a cabinet) but also make it easier for anyone wanting to enter the world of shooting by having the access to most tools of the sport, albeit a limited choice as regards to rifles, all on one cert, but keeping the 'big boys toys' on a different cert to keep joe public happy.

Well said that man.Totally agree.Jim.(Night Owl).

Why a letter of permission? I once had to sit through a video of some yobs throwing a cat off a 7 th floor balcony several times for kicks (eventually found with all 4 legs broken and additional injuries it was put down) along with the commentary recorded on a mobile.

What's the solution there? put a certificate on gravity? Perhaps just put a certificate on breeding...... 50 years problems solved?

Why a letter of permission? I once had to sit through a video of some yobs throwing a cat off a 7 th floor balcony several times for kicks (eventually found with all 4 legs broken and additional injuries it was put down) along with the commentary recorded on a mobile.

What's the solution there? put a certificate on gravity? Perhaps just put a certificate on breeding...... 50 years problems solved?

most of our laws that we all have to live under are just treating the symptoms of yobs/chavs/halfwits procreating. it would indeed be more effective to treat the problem itself, but the chance of that happening is zero.