fantastic 24 hrs out with 3 PW MEMBERS

swiss.tony

Sorry Tony, but I have to disagree - and yes - I've had a couple of 223's and a 22-250 etc in my time.

When you pull the trigger at something you want it dead when the bullet hits. When you have been at this game (shooting) for a long time you see many things.

I've seen a rabbit hit with a 223 at 'long range' to have its back leg blown off and run away screaming - not very nice.

I've also seen a fox shot at 350 yards and run round in circles with it's rear end mashed until the shooter could get (in this case) a 3rd shot to finish it off.

Just because foxes and rabbits are labelled as vermin does not mean that good old Joe Public will not get upset if they find a badly wounded fox in their back garden.

I'm not saying that I have never ever missed a shot - just that I believe that as far as possible you have to get all of the odds in your favour before you pull the trigger. Shooting at extreme range lessens the odds in your favour......

I have been keepering and stalking proffesionally all my working life and am out with clients twice a day now every day.

Range is a funny thing. What you call to far some don't and to believe animals are wounded more at long range is balls. Deer get wounded just as often at 30m's as at 150m its ability what counts and then having tackle up to the job.

You all see my vids on you tube and for every 10 on there i have 1 i cannot publish nothing to do with long range its down to nerves or poor posture in the heat of the moment. Novices don't wound anymore then seasoned stalkers as its the guys who have done more take more chances when the time is limited, novices simply dont have the time to shoot.

I say (after seeing 100's shoot every year) if you are happy shoot if not don't. we dont shoot to wound but mistakes will happen those that kid themselves and the antis are simply lying and loose credibility. The difference is small game big gun wounding is rare and yes it will happen but why do we all have a gun dog when shotgunning? This is pigeon watch and i shot pigeons proffessionally for 5 years. I can still average 75% kills over decoys(and im well out of praactice) but how many are shot STONE DEAD....... He without sin cast the first stone.

its funny john how all the shooters on here agree with me and all the people who have water pistols and buy gun books say im out of order funny that i just dont no why i bother sum times im sat here barking ..

just happy with my work yesterday and then made to feel like some criminal day after :hmm:

personally wouldn't have taken the shot but you killed it so well done mate, next time just tell them you used a range finder to keep them off your back

RIGHT lets get this right i well defend my self 100 per cent against this **** if i had hit it with 1 shot id of got a big pat on back 2 shots and im a bad man if id have shot it with a hmr and fired 45 shots then id wood take a beating on here

but iv shot it with a caliber than is more than capable or killing a hare at long range and it was not luck 427 paces is not just point and shoot and to the person who said keep it to the range where do you think id just bin i sent 6 hrs at paul lane rifle club testing my zero and puting 5 shots into a 1 pence size target so any one else want to slag me off do it by pm and not on here you childish kids

Edited by swiss.tony

RIGHT lets get this right i well defend my self 100 per cent against this **** if i had hit it with 1 shot id of got a big pat on back 2 shots and im a bad man if id have shot it with a hmr and fired 45 shots then id wood take a beating on here

but iv shot it with a caliber than is more than capable or killing a hare at long range and it was not luck 427 paces is not just point and shoot and to the person who said keep it to the range where do you think id just bin i sent 6 hrs at paul lane rifle club testing my zero and puting 5 shots into a 1 pence size target so any one else want to slag me off do it by pm and not on here you childish kids

tony i wasnt trying to make you feel like a criminal or upset you if id have done that shot id be over the moon with it aswell just dont want non shooters getting the wrong idea

i recon ya need to get ya self down to the catton shoot tony and maybe ya could then do it in one shot :P get ya name down pal fisters down on the list too. oh and good shot

I have been keepering and stalking proffesionally all my working life and am out with clients twice a day now every day.

Range is a funny thing. What you call to far some don't and to believe animals are wounded more at long range is balls. Deer get wounded just as often at 30m's as at 150m its ability what counts and then having tackle up to the job.

You all see my vids on you tube and for every 10 on there i have 1 i cannot publish nothing to do with long range its down to nerves or poor posture in the heat of the moment. Novices don't wound anymore then seasoned stalkers as its the guys who have done more take more chances when the time is limited, novices simply dont have the time to shoot.

I say (after seeing 100's shoot every year) if you are happy shoot if not don't. we dont shoot to wound but mistakes will happen those that kid themselves and the antis are simply lying and loose credibility. The difference is small game big gun wounding is rare and yes it will happen but why do we all have a gun dog when shotgunning? This is pigeon watch and i shot pigeons proffessionally for 5 years. I can still average 75% kills over decoys(and im well out of praactice) but how many are shot STONE DEAD....... He without sin cast the first stone.

I knew when I answered this post that the custard would hit the fan, and that testosterone and emotions would come flying out of the woodwork.

Let me get this right - this guy lobs a bullet at a range that he later finds out to be 427 yards (no rangefinder) and he takes two shots to kill what he aims at. And he has the wisdom to put this into print and wants praise for doing so.

I know that experience and skill and the right kit will improve the kill rate, and that it all depends on what you are confident at.

I limit my foxing with a 223 to 200 yards or so at night, and some may even take it to 300 yards in the right place with the right conditions. It all boils down to confidence and experience and ability and the right kit.

Whoever mentioned pigeon shooting, and how did anti's come onto the scene? Obviously calling people muppets will certainly generate a responsible reply.

PW is a wonderful forum for exchanging views; gaining knowledge and sharing ideas. Please accept that other people may have different views to yourself, and they are entitled to.

PW is a wonderful forum for exchanging views; gaining knowledge and sharing ideas. Please accept that other people may have different views to yourself, and they are entitled to.

And on that note this one will be closed, I am sure there will be another one along soon..

We seem to be going over old ground over and over again.