Electronic ear defenders

sean johnston

I am going to purchase a pair of electronic ear muffs but i am a little unsure of which ones to go for.The ones i have seen are made by Deben which are priced at £93.00 and also attleborough accesories sell the morley ones,the solar powered ones are priced at £99 and the standard battery powered ones are £55.00.

I would appreciate any help on choosing a good quality pair,Do any of you own the above mentioned muffs?At the moment i am thinking of going for the deben battery powered ones.

:) I have a pair of filtered ear plugs made by Green Leopard - made to fit, rather than off the shelf. They were £70 but guaranteed for 15 years. I found I never got round to putting my 'cans' on in hot weather as they made my ears sweat. The Leopards go in before I leave home and come out when I get back. V comfy and no problem with hearing normal conversation, they just filter out the bangs!! You still get to hear '****, missed it' though!!! :lol::lol: :(

Sean

I have a pair of the deben ones and they are comfortable and work great although I have two things about which I will comment.

1. If you leave the black ***** on them they DO turn themselves on whilst in your bag etc and battery life gets shot to ****. We have all pulled the ***** off leaving a shiny aluminium switch underneath but it dont put anything off.

Secondly, I have had mine a No of years and when out stalking in real windy conditions its a similar noise to having your side window down in the car as your racing along to your shooting :lol::lol: I think on later models they have covered the hole with thin foam to try and combat this problem.

Other than that they are ok, I do find the batteries hard to come by tho. Always have a spare taped together in your kit.

PP You got any details on those custom made jobs? Mine are getting old now and was going to get a pair at the MGF in Sept. Any advice would be appreciated.

Col Pol

I've got a pair of browning ones (i think they are more o less the same as the debins,they are very good but i suffer the exact problems that CP has described,ie the turn themselves on and when it windy its bedlam which means you cant hear any conversation anyway (this sort of defeats the objest as far as i was concerned :lol: )having said all that i wouldnt be without them (i just turn them down quite low in the wind.i think as cp says they probably have made improvements to the design since i got mine so you should be ok.Does anyone have any tips for reducing the wind noise on these??