Nissan Terrano faults

ferguson_tom

Hi

I have a couple of problems with the Terrano and was wondering if anyone had the same and how they fixed them. its a 5 door X-reg.

First I think the rear door is leaking as boot floor is just getting wetter and wetter with this rain, there are no signs on the roof of a leak. Would replacing the seal around the door help fix this or is there something else i can do?

Also at around 65mph i get what feels like a vibration from an unbalanced wheel, I have had them all balanced now and they were out but not terrible and the problem still isnt fixed. It does it both 2wd and 4wd. Before i start replacing half shafts and prop shafts is there anything which is a common fault? Or is there some tests a garage can do to tell me whats out?

Thanks in advance.

Leaving it in 4WD puts huge strains on the entire drive system, as the gear ratios between the front and rear can never be exactly the same, so you have one set trying to go slightly faster than the other (known as 'wind-up'. This is a very small amount and isn't an issue at low speeds or on slippery surfaces which is when 4WD should be used, but on hard surfaces at speed it makes vehicles very unstable, causes extra tyre wear and could lead to premature failure in the drive system.

I think that on these Terrano's the front diff locks when put into 4WD, which again isn't an issue on slippery going but will cause handling issues, tyre wear and huge strains.

I wouldn't worry about it, you've obviously got away with it, but I wouldn't do it again.

cured the tailgate leak on mine by adjusting the tailgate striker in about 5 mm and then adjusting the top of the tailgate in aswell, to do this you need to slacken the top hinge bolts (3x 14mm) and get someone to lift the back edge of the tailgate while you tighten them back up. Solved the problem on mine.

Mine also gets a vibration at about 70-75 mph but i think this is because of the tyre's, they are off road biased AT's. It didn't do it with the set of HT's that came on it when i bought it.

Surely there's a centre diff in the gearbox allowing for different speeds front to rear. Well defenders do anyway.

Wind up used to be a problem with the old series landrovers but they don't have a gear box diff.

Defenders have a central diff, which means they can have power to any of the 4 wheels when not locked, but no wind-up occurs because of the diff. However when you lock it in true 4WD, this central diff is locked, which forces both axles to rotate at the same speed - if the diff isn't locked, you get one axle spinning, the other gets no power - so when they're locked, it can give wind-up.

Terrano's are RWD, and engaging the front axle makes it all solid, like a Defender is when locked.

Unscrew the plastic trim plate that sits on the floor to hold the carpet down and remove it. Then gently pull off the first 3-4 inches of the thick moulding that goes over the metal edge of the door opening (should be colour-matched to the carpet).

Then empty a tube of silicone sealant either side of the metal lip that the moulding covers, and all the way across the area the plastic trim sits on (thick as you like, the more the merrier, but certainly enough to fill any gaps).

Then push the edging trim pieces back on either side and refit the plastic trim plate to squish the wet silicone to form a perfect seal - if you put enough on it should be oozing out all over the place - if it doesn't, then you didn't, but you can always wait for it to go off, remove the trim plate and add more. For good measure I then put a very thin bead all round the outer edge of the trim and edge cover (paying special attention to the area at either end of the plastic trim plate where the water usually enters), wiping it flat with a wet finger.

Also check passenger footwell, always leak, there's an easy fix for it as well! As for vibrations I had the same with mine. Had it balanced at one garage and was no different, so took it to another garage with a newer top of the range all singing and dancing balancing machine & been fine since( even with BF Goodrich AT's) hope this helps. Chris.

For the leaking, I usually tape toilet paper around the rubber seal, wet car and look for wet patch, helps if paper is not white, then look at sunroof seal and drainage pipes and Ariel mount, failing that hole in floorpan. For vibrating are they off road or cheap tyres. Does it vibrate at all speeds or just at a certain speed?

Thanks for the advice everyone i will try both the door adjustment and the silicone sealent as it is getting in at the bottom by the look of it.

Funny you mention the passenger footwell, i pulled up my rubber mat yesterday evening and the carpet was soaked underneath. So what is the easy fix???

For the vibration I am going to sort out the anti-roll bar bushes this weekend and look at all the joints etc while i am under there. The vibration though does feel to be coming from the back but and i cannot feel it through the steering wheel or gearstick.

Defenders have a central diff, which means they can have power to any of the 4 wheels when not locked, but no wind-up occurs because of the diff. However when you lock it in true 4WD, this central diff is locked, which forces both axles to rotate at the same speed - if the diff isn't locked, you get one axle spinning, the other gets no power - so when they're locked, it can give wind-up.

Terrano's are RWD, and engaging the front axle makes it all solid, like a Defender is when locked.

I see. So towing in 4wd in a terrano is not a good idea, well at road speeds anyway.

Passenger foot well leak fix.

Remove front wipers( WD40 them, they will be hard to get off) remover the plastic scuttle panel. You will the see a metle blanking panel on the passenger side. Remove the 6 screws and runs some sealer around it then refit the blanking plate. When refitting the scuttle run a bead of sealer between it and the screen & the smooth off. About a 15 min job. Then dry carpet!

Cheers chris, now that i know its there i can also smell the damp carpet. Saying that though it is drying out as the hole in my exhaust is warming up underneath and warming the whole foot well up :lol:

Going to be a busy a weekend, exhaust welding, service, leak finding.

Edited by ferguson_tom