Decoying onto germinating barley?

86inch

My local farmer has a field of germinating barley (very small shoots at present), i have read that pigeons will often feed on this by pulling up the seedlings - is this true? would i likely have any joy decoying birds onto this?

Pigeons may visit, but rooks and crows seems to love barley when its first sprouting.

I agree with Cranners :good: Ditch the pigeon decoys, get out after the black stuff, if you have them in the area, they will be ripping the shoots out as fast as theyre growing. Deal with those and you will have a great days shooting and one very happy farmer :yes::good: Make a really good hide, face covering and once you have 3-4 dead birds get the plastics in and use only the dead ones. Good luck :good:

• 2 weeks later...

From.this can I.assume.pigeons will hit barley in July?.I.ask as my permission has plant.5 fields.of pea.and barley mix for.dairy cows.

yes mate, usually july but more likely august this year with the rubbish weather :angry: if the field has electric cables or trees nearby watch for pigeons on these,[thats a sign there on it}. if the wind flatterns any area thats even better :good: corvids will be on it aswell. having said that if he is dairy he might silage it before it ripens. either way its worth keepin an eye on for sure :yes:

BBrilliant thanks for the help, looking forward to a good few months over thone fields. Also has a large area of loose earn which is like clover which he will be cutting early June. I think this may be good shooting as well, what do you think?

BBrilliant thanks for the help, looking forward to a good few months over thone fields. Also has a large area of loose earn which is like clover which he will be cutting early June. I think this may be good shooting as well, what do you think?

i would of thought pigeons would have been on there already. i would imagine ther will be corvids all over it when it is cut, but never grown that up my way. the pigeons have been on clover for a while here :good: