Do I need to put a resistor onto 12v led lights?

yankeedoodlepigeon

Hi All.

I have nearly finished refitting my boat and I am doing the lights. I have ran 5 12v led lights in a row and someone said that I need to put a resistor on first as they are different to normal lights and will burn out if I don't. This is just one of the 5 lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-24-SMD-LED-Marine-Camper-Bulb-Lamp-12V-Warm-White-Light-Car-/260948157084?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3cc1b8e29c#ht_1189wt_1110

Could I run them direct off a car battery or will I have to fit a resistor?

Thanks Ydp

A basic LED chip needs about 2V to operate, and so requires an inline resistor to use on a higher voltage supply.

As this is a sub-assembly that is marked as 12V input then it would suggest that you don't need anything else.

Edited by HW682

I thought the only reason for fitting resistors to led's was so that when you are indicating they will register on the dash to let you know your indicators are working . I tow some trailers at work with led's and no resistors and they are a pain as you don't know from the cab if your indicators are actually working , don't think you will do the lights any damage without resistors

Edited by alastair0903

I thought the only reason for fitting resistors to led's was so that when you are indicating they will register on the dash to let you know your indicators are working . I tow some trailers at work with led's and no resistors and they are a pain as you don't know from the cab if your indicators are actually working , don't think you will do the lights any damage without resistors

What you are describing is a resistor in parallel with an LED bulb, to draw more current so that various car circuits recognise the load.

It is different from the series resistor, which is needed to operate a simple LED at 12V.

(These assemblies don't need one though)

Interesting having read the ebay advert:

Do not replace it with halogen

Need led light transformer

LED light transformers arent all the same I have seen from 12-48V and depends if they need constant current (350mA or 700mA being common) or constant voltage (12-48) depends on whats built in to the device some will run direct others wont.

Very light on details and spec

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fitted the lights in series and soldered them in today and they didn't work for some reason they will only work if wired up parallel. This is a problem as all the wiring is now behind the carpet liner covering the ceiling and sides. Why would they not work wired up in series not matter what way round I have tried them? I have not got a clue about electricity and its sent a few of my friends home scratching chins.

Regards Ydp

Hi Ydp your lights need to be wired in parallel as they have drivers built in,thats the reason they will not work in series,they are not polarity concious

so will work with the leads connected either way round but they must be connected to 12 volts atb handy