Terrier grass allergy

Hi All,

I have a lovely 4 Year old Jack Russell whos is the perfect Dog except for the fact He appears to be allergic to grass, wheat, pollen etc.., every time he goes near any fields or crops he starts to scratch himself to bits. Washing him in the fish pond seems to help for a while but later in the day he will start to scratch himself on his stomach and undersides. Ive tried creams and shampoos and the vet is ready and willing to charge a fortune for tests has anyone got any ideas? Incidentlly his sister fom the same litter is unaffected.

sorry cant help .but a guy who bought my english bull terrier .had a bully dog who was the same he ended up slabbing all his rear garden so as the dog wasnt on grass .i thought he was pulling my leg .sorry i dont have the answer you are looking for .noel

Hi All,

I have a lovely 4 Year old Jack Russell whos is the perfect Dog except for the fact He appears to be allergic to grass, wheat, pollen etc.., every time he goes near any fields or crops he starts to scratch himself to bits. Washing him in the fish pond seems to help for a while but later in the day he will start to scratch himself on his stomach and undersides. Ive tried creams and shampoos and the vet is ready and willing to charge a fortune for tests has anyone got any ideas? Incidentlly his sister fom the same litter is unaffected.

Have you tried antihistamines? You could give it a tablet and see if it helps. I give my Springer half a tablet if it gets nettled a lot it seems to help, but ask your vet first.

Edited by Actionpigeons

The dogs needs proper allergy tests to establish what it is allergic to. Then it needs appropriate treatment. Don't start giving it human medication without your vet prescribing it. Just buying human medication and giving it yourself could be harmful and is actually illegal.

The dogs needs proper allergy tests to establish what it is allergic to. Then it needs appropriate treatment. Don't start giving it human medication without your vet prescribing it. Just buying human medication and giving it yourself could be harmful and is actually illegal.

really need to reed post 1st, ASK VET FIRST and VET RECOMMENDED IT are on two post of the talking about antihistamines and its deff not illegal they are not Prescription drugs you can buy them over the counter and give them to a child! ???

Edited by Actionpigeons

really need to reed post 1st, ASK VET FIRST and VET RECOMMENDED IT are on two post of the talking about antihistamines and its deff not illegal they are not Prescription drugs you can buy them over the counter and give them to a child! ???

It is illegal to give them to your pet. I can go on and explain. All medications for use in animals require a specific licence. That proves it is safe, lists the indications etc. ANY medication that does not have a licence may be used in animals under a thing called the cascade, this is a hierarchy of medicines that can be used. It starts with products licensed for a specific condition, moves to other veterinary medicines and then finally to prevent unnecessary suffering human medicines may be used. This is ONLY under veterinary supervision where other licensed medications have been excluded.

A veterinary surgeon may prescribe you the medication directly or write you a prescription. If you go into a pharmacy to buy anti-histamines for your dog they are breaking the law selling them to you and you are breaking the law giving them to your dog. I admit that you are unlikely to be caught. You should be aware that using the medication in ANY way off the data sheet requires a vet (in the case of an animal) or a doctors input. Don't let keyboard warriors tell you otherwise.

(incidentally anti-histamines aren't especially effective in most dogs, not as a single treatment)

It is illegal to give them to your pet. I can go on and explain. All medications for use in animals require a specific licence. That proves it is safe, lists the indications etc. ANY medication that does not have a licence may be used in animals under a thing called the cascade, this is a hierarchy of medicines that can be used. It starts with products licensed for a specific condition, moves to other veterinary medicines and then finally to prevent unnecessary suffering human medicines may be used. This is ONLY under veterinary supervision where other licensed medications have been excluded.

A veterinary surgeon may prescribe you the medication directly or write you a prescription. If you go into a pharmacy to buy anti-histamines for your dog they are breaking the law selling them to you and you are breaking the law giving them to your dog. I admit that you are unlikely to be caught. You should be aware that using the medication in ANY way off the data sheet requires a vet (in the case of an animal) or a doctors input. Don't let keyboard warriors tell you otherwise.

(incidentally anti-histamines aren't especially effective in most dogs, not as a single treatment)

Very informed, however as I said on my post “ASK VET FIRST and VET RECOMMENDED IT” ask your vet first was the point I was making.

Some people are always negative on here.

The OP was asking for a little help as his dog seem to be allergic to grass ect, people are saying what has worked for them but saying at the same time check with your vet first to be safe.

Your right there are a lot of keyboard warriors on here

Edited by Actionpigeons

Very informed, however as I said on my post “ASK VET FIRST and VET RECOMMENDED IT” ask your vet first was the point I was making.

Some people are always negative on here.

The OP was asking for a little help as his dog seem to be allergic to grass ect, people are saying what has worked for them but saying at the same time check with your vet first to be safe.

Your right there are a lot of keyboard warriors on here

And you my friend appear to be one.

Not a lot of point in belittling Apache and alienating him, he's our tame resident Vet who is always on hand and only to happy help us with our little problems.

And you my friend appear to be one.

Not a lot of point in belittling Apache and alienating him, he's our tame resident Vet who is always on hand and only to happy help us with our little problems.

I dont care who he is. I did say in my post ask your vet first did I not

Edited by Actionpigeons