todays project

SPARKIE

got up this morn and decided to make a pigeon magnet so went down the scrappers and got a wiper motor of a vw polo cost me a fiver and 10 squid for a speed controller of ebar and knocked this up tell me what ya think just gotta paint it and get a battery and im away made it so i can put dead pigeons in it ..im well happy with it it took me about 2.5 hours to make

more pics

DSC00302.JPG

DSC00303.JPG

DSC00305.JPG

DSC00304.JPG

not meaning to nit pick mate but those arms look very long and difficult to carry ! my advise would be to first rid of that support bar and bend the arms up to start with that will make them bounce and give you a more realistic look. second make the arms seperate to connect them one easy way is to find some tube your arms fit and weld them tho the wiper moter dril holes through your arms and the tubes so you can slide a split pin through to hold them in place this will also stop them slipping round. the easiest way to get your arms to hold dead birds is to bend the end of the arm at a 90 degree angle and sharpen it now measure about 8 inches back and make to more short arms that come out of you spinner arm at 45 degrees each side of the arm now bend the ends up and sharpen them these go into the muscle in the pigeons wings and all the ones i have made work vey well, hope this helps

if you need any more ideas to make it lighter smaller and break up smaller just pm me

Make sure when you wire the motor up you get it to spin constantly, looks like you have left the gearbox on it so you might end up with one turn one way and then back again, as in a wiper action ;)

Kyle

:good::good::lol: i take it you have never seen how a windscreen mechanism works m8 :lol::lol:

:lol:

not meaning to nit pick mate but those arms look very long and difficult to carry ! my advise would be to first rid of that support bar and bend the arms up to start with that will make them bounce and give you a more realistic look. second make the arms seperate to connect them one easy way is to find some tube your arms fit and weld them tho the wiper moter dril holes through your arms and the tubes so you can slide a split pin through to hold them in place this will also stop them slipping round. the easiest way to get your arms to hold dead birds is to bend the end of the arm at a 90 degree angle and sharpen it now measure about 8 inches back and make to more short arms that come out of you spinner arm at 45 degrees each side of the arm now bend the ends up and sharpen them these go into the muscle in the pigeons wings and all the ones i have made work vey well, hope this helps

if you need any more ideas to make it lighter smaller and break up smaller just pm me

thanks for the tips i thought about having some square bar for the rods to sit on so i can just slide them in to placebut i havent got any so thought i would do it how it is it has a thread under the top so it can be unscrewed from the motor and the motor can also be removed from the frame by just undoin 2 bolts so it does come of if it gets worn out the rods for the arms are mad eof spring steel which flex quite well they did bounce 2 much tho so i had to add the brace to support it due to weight of the bird it could hit the floor with too much bounce bought a dead pigeot home tonight and it fitted well ya can just bend the mire slightly to make for a tighter fit but all seems ok when i get some square bar i will re do the rods as the span is about 6 foot.the project is still in process so stay tooned

Guest jonrms

some wiper mechinisms just rotate in a 360 degree formation.... ie the old vw beetles etc...

some will go back and forth stopping when it reaches its contact.... to remove the contact is usually alot of work and I never had any need to do that ... but then again I work on cars as my other hobby...

I think the VW range are all simmular.. and will continue to rotate at 360 degrees.... fords will stop at 190

hope this helps clear up any minor disputes... :good:

Better than anything I have Sparkie :good: All you need now is the window washer fitted to keep you bird fresh on hot days :good::lol:

Sparkie, one of the nice things about making your own kits is that you have something that you can critise. I make my own canoe paddles. Of all the ones I've made, there is not one I like 100%. So what, the only reason I can critisise them is I have got of my as* and made an effort. I have learn so much by doing this. I bet you this is not the last magnet you will make and each one will be better than the one b4. Why? because you got off your as* and weren't affraid to experiment.

Wished you lived near me, I let you make a MK2 for me :lol:

Well done I look fwd to hearing how you use it and improve it

>i take it you have never seen how a windscreen mechanism works m8

Yeah, I have one off a metro here, it goes forward, and then back! Hence my comment :D

:no: well i aint seen 1 with a switch inside that makes it go back and forth in the 10 year ive been a mechanic and ive work on all sorts of cars from taxis to porsce and delerships and ive replaces loads of wiper motors front and rear the motor spins in 1 direction it the mechanism and arms that have been removed that rotate the arms forward and back :no:

Better than anything I have Sparkie :no: All you need now is the window washer fitted to keep you bird fresh on hot days :lol::lol:

Sparkie, one of the nice things about making your own kits is that you have something that you can critise. I make my own canoe paddles. Of all the ones I've made, there is not one I like 100%. So what, the only reason I can critisise them is I have got of my as* and made an effort. I have learn so much by doing this. I bet you this is not the last magnet you will make and each one will be better than the one b4. Why? because you got off your as* and weren't affraid to experiment.

Wished you lived near me, I let you make a MK2 for me :lol:

Well done I look fwd to hearing how you use it and improve it

cheers m8 it will be ok when its finished just kamod it up and gonna try it at the week end

Class job sparkie. Want to sell it for a tenner? :no:

no its mine so far cost me £20 with paint materials

i worked in a big scrappys for 2 year and took wiper motors of all sorts of cars and they all turn 360 in my opion they mostly work on a crank mechanisim which lets the arms come back on them selfs

hhappy days im with sparki :no::no:

ps rear motors do stop and go backwards